Open Enrollment for 2023 Benefits:
October 11 - November 10, 2022
(All Changes Effective January 1, 2023)
- IN-PERSON Core Benefits Fair
- Wednesday, October 12
- 1:30am – 2:00pm
- County Center
- Medical, Dental, Vision, EAP, and Deferred Compensation Providers
- VIRTUAL Benefits Fair
- Tuesday, October 25
- 11:30am – 2:00pm
MORE TO COME! Several In-Person and Virtual Webinar Sessions will be hosted in October and November! Watch out for upcoming dates.
Conquer the Rays with the Right Shades
When it comes down to dealing with the heavy dose of sunshine that summer brings, dark sunglasses are enough to protect your eyes, right? Unfortunately, no. Not all shades are created equal. There are two of the superstars in the summer-lens category: UV-blocking and polarized lenses.
These terms often go hand-in-hand, but they have two different functions. UV Blocking Sunglasses protect your eyes from dangerous ultraviolet rays and are crucial to good eye health. Polarized Sunglass Lenses can make your eyes more comfortable by eliminated glare.
Enrolled in the County VSP Buy-up Plan?
The VSP LightCare is included with your VSP Buy-up plan. With VSP LightCare™, you can use your frame and lens benefit to get non-prescription eyewear. Sunglasses or blue light filtering glasses may be just what you're looking for.
A Back to School Reminder from VSP
It’s back-to-school time again. And while this year looks different than years past, the need for healthy eyes and good vision remains just as important for learning. Whether kids are in a classroom or online, students of all ages should still get an annual eye exam.
Visit VSP for the full infographics of the 5 Reasons to Schedule an Eye Exam for Back to School:
- Undiagnosed vision issues can impact learning
- With the increase in screen time, kids need an eye exam now more than ever
- Address signs of vision issues
- Health Benefits of an annual eye exam
- Vision screening are no substitute for an eye exam
Enrolled in the County VSP Buy-up Plan?
The VSP KidsCare is included with your VSP Buy-up plan. It is designed to meet the eye care and eyewear needs of active and growing children (up to age 18) by providing two WellVision Exams and replacement pair of glasses every year when needed.
Visit vsp.com or call 1 (800) 877-7195
Back to School Savings from LifeBalance
The school year is here! Browse savings on electronics, school supplies, tuition, childcare, and more with the LifeBalance Program’s 2022 Education Savings Guide!
To start saving, sign-in or create an account for free at https://cosm.lifebalanceprogram.com/
Coming Soon! Your Empower Account Will be Upgraded to Their NEW Platform
You may recall that Empower purchased the Mass Mutual Retirement business over a year ago. While this transition is almost complete, the final step in this transition is to move over to the NEW Empower Platform.
In a few weeks, you will be receiving an email and home mailer from Empower letting you know that you will need to re-create your online account under the NEW Empower Platform.
Your San Mateo 457 Deferred Compensation Plan account will be upgraded to a new and improved website and mobile app experience. You’ll have access to your upgraded account beginning on Tuesday, November 1, 2022.
A few things you can look forward to:
- Automatic account transfer — Your retirement account, current investments and contribution rates will automatically transfer to the new Empower experience.
- New website — You will be able to manage your retirement account with the help of enhanced planning features and tools.
- Empower Customer Care Center — A new “County of San Mateo Exclusive” toll free number will be created for all County employees and retirees. You will continue to have access to U.S.-based representatives, with expanded Saturday hours.
- New Empower Retirement app — The app is available to download to your Apple® or Android™ device for on-the-go access to your retirement account.
What you can do to prepare:
- Confirm your contact info is current.
- Access your current account to make sure all your information is up-to-date. This will help ensure you receive all necessary communications related to the transition.
Join Empower for an educational opportunity to review the new resources that can help you achieve the future you imagine. Register at upgrade.empowermytime.com for the virtual session of your choice.
There will be a short “quiet period” when you won’t be able to make any transactions. This quiet period lasts for 2-3 business days beginning after the markets close on Friday, October 28
Down Payment Assistance Program Lunch And Learn Webinars
The County of San Mateo Employee Down Payment Assistance Program offers a $100,000 down payment assistance loan towards the purchase of a home in San Mateo County. To learn how to qualify for this program, we encourage you to join one of the County’s Employee Lunch and Learn Webinars to learn about the program. Up to five names will be drawn at the next drawing on: October 25, 2022
WHEN: 12:00 pm – 1:00pm
- Wednesday, September 14, 2022
- Thursday, September 29, 2022
- Wednesday, October 12, 2022
For the attendee link, please check the County’s “Upcoming Event” Intranet site: https://smcgov.sharepoint.com/Pages/intra_home.aspx
To receive the attendee link via email, please RSVP to Nila Kim at email@example.com
Retiree Health Informational Session
Have you ever wondered how much it will cost for benefits when you retire? Have you heard that your sick leave may play a role in how your retiree health contribution is paid?
IF SO….Please sign up through LMS and learn about your Retiree Health Benefits
WHEN: Thursday, September 15, 10:00am – 12:30pm