Open Enrollment for 2023 Benefits is Oct. 11 - Nov. 10, 2022
Open Enrollment is your opportunity to make/change your plan elections, add/drop dependents for the upcoming year, and enroll in FSA/HSA. Selections made during Open Enrollment will be effective January 1, 2023. You will be able to make changes in Workday October 11th through November 10th, with a January 1, 2023 effective date.
MEDICAL CARRIER CHANGE:
Aetna is Replacing Blue Shield of California
Beginning January 1, 2023, the County of San Mateo will replace Blue Shield with Aetna as a medical carrier/provider. We will no longer offer any Blue Shield medical plans. We will continue to offer all current Kaiser Permanente plans.
Take Action during the Open Enrollment Period! Review and Select your 2023 Medical Plan in Workday!
The following Aetna plans will be available for you to select effective 1/1/2023:
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO AVN
- Aetna OAMC PPO ($200 Deductible)
- Aetna HDHP OAMC PPO
For Plan Information, Resources and to Find a Provider, please visit County of San Mateo-specific Aetna website: www.aetnaresource.com/p/cosm
Watch the recorded webinar on Aetna Plans for Active Employees
- Better overall premium rates resulting in cost savings for employees and the County compared to the 2023 rates we received from Blue Shield.
- A lower costing Aetna Value Network HMO (AVN) plan that includes the Sutter/Mills Peninsula Medical Group which replaces the Blue Shield Trio Plan
- An HMO and/or AVN option for students and early retirees who move out-of-state with their nationwide* HMO and/or AVN HMO plan (* some states and zipcode exclusions may apply)
- A comparable Medicare Advantage PPO plan for our retiree population which will provide a 61% premium cost savings each month
2023 Benefit Enhancements
- VSP Core Plan: Increase in frame allowance from $130 to $150
- Claremont EAP: Increase in short-term counseling from 5 to 8 sessions per incident per year
If you wish to continue your Flexible Health or Dependent Care Spending Account (FSA) or Health Savings Account (HSA), you must elect an annual amount during each Open Enrollment as this amount will not rollover from the previous plan year.
- The maximum amount you may contribute to a Healthcare Flexible Spending Account for the 2023 plan year is $2,850.
- The maximum amount you may contribute to a Dependent Day Care Flexible Spending Account is $5,000 a year.
- The maximum amount you may contribute to a Health Savings Account (HSA) is $3,650 for individual and $7,300 for family coverage.
Are You a Retired County Employee?
Check out Open Enrollment for County Retirees for more information!