How do I check my FSA balance or file a claim?

You can view your balance, check claim status, or submit claims by logging on to

What happens if I have remaining Healthcare FSA funds?

You will have until 12/31 of this year to spend your funds and up to 03/31 of the next year to file a claim. By April of the next year, any remaining funds that are up to $500 will be transferred over to your next year FSA.

What happens if I have remaining Dependent Care FSA funds?

You will have until 03/15 of next year to spend your funds and up to 03/31 next year to file a claim. By 04/01 next year, any remaining funds will no longer be available for use.

What is the FSA Program?

The FSA program allows you to use pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible medical expenses that are not reimbursed by insurance. For 2019, you can set aside up to $2,700 a year ($100 per pay period) into your medical FSA Account administered by our new FSA third-party administrator, Benefits Coordinators Corporation (BCC.) The dollars you place in this account will be automatically deducted from your paycheck over 26 pay periods beginning the first pay period in 2018. Because the dollars you place in this account are taken out of your pay before they are taxed, you lower your taxable income, thereby saving you money on federal, Social Security and state taxes. You can save an estimated $20-$40 on every $100 you choose to set aside.

What is new for FSA in 2019?

The limit for the Healthcare Flexible Spending is $2,700 for 2019.

I want to enroll/continue to be enrolled in the Flexible Spending Accout programs. Do I need to re-enroll every year?

Yes. If you wish to continue Flexible Spending in 2019, you must log into Workday and elect an annual amount, up to $5,000 per household for Dependent Care and up to $2,700 for Medical (Limited Expense Healthcare FSA if enrolling in a High Deductible Health Plan – HDHP) that you wish deducted from your pay over 26 pay periods. You will still be required to re-enroll in the Flexible Spending Account program every year.  You are not automatically re-enrolled into the Flexible Spending Account Program

I am enrolling in the High Deductible Health Plan; can I still contribute to a Health care/Medical FSA?

Yes.  However, you would have to enroll in the County’s Limited Expense Health Care Flexible Savings Account (LEX FSA). For more information, please see the HDHP FAQs.

What is the Limited Expense Health Care Flexible Savings Account (LEX FSA)?

It is an account where you contribute money from your salary before taxes are withheld, incur eligible dental and vision care expenses and get reimbursed. It is available only to employees who are enrolled in a high deductible health plan (HDHP) with a health savings account (HSA). Dental and vision care expenses are the only reimbursable expenses covered under the LEX FSA.  Eligible expenses include your out-of-pocket costs for such services/products as:

Dental Care Vision Care
Cleanings Refractions
Fillings Eyeglasses
Crowns Contact Lenses
Orthodontics Vision Correction Procedures

Cosmetic services – even if dental or vision related – are not eligible expenses. All of the other expenses normally eligible under a "general" health care flexible spending account are NOT eligible under a LEX FSA.  By using a LEX FSA, you can preserve the funds in your health savings account to use/save for other purposes. For more information, please see the HDHP FAQs.

When do I have access to these funds?

You have access to your entire medical FSA election on January 1, 2019. For Dependent Care FSA, you can reimburse up to your current account balance.

How do I use the money in my FSA account?

You can use the money in one of two ways. First, you can seek services and pay for those services out of your pocket. Then you can submit receipts to BCC to be reimbursed for those services out of your FSA account. 

Second, you can use your BCC Debit Card in which eligible expenses are automatically deducted from your account on the card.

Please log in and register at  If you lost your card, please contact BCC FSA Debit Card Support Line at 1-888-897-3788 to request a new card. There is not a fee for a replacement card.  

How long does it take to get reimbursed?

BCC’s turnaround time for a request to be paid is 2-4 weeks. To check the status or speak with a customer service representative, you may contact BCC at 1-800-685-6100.

What can I use the money for?

Eligible expenses include but are not limited to deductibles, medical and dental co-payments, prescriptions, contact lenses, eyeglasses, laser vision corrective surgery, orthodontia etc.  Note that, effective January 1, 2011, many over-the-counter drugs were no longer eligible FSA expenses without a doctor’s prescription.

What happens if I don’t use the money?

If you don’t use all you FSA Healthcare funds incurred from January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2018, up to $500 of your balance (minimum $5) will be rolled over to 2019 that you can use towards eligible medical expenses.

How do I know how much money I have remaining in my account:

For immediate access to your account information, simply log on to or call the toll free BCC Info Line (1-800-685-6100) to receive your personal account balance and claim status information.

Can I change my FSA election in the middle of the year?

No. Changes to your election amounts can only be made when there is an eligible qualifying event (within 30 days of marriage or divorce, birth or adoption, death of a spouse/dependent, change in employment status of spouse or self).

Do I need to keep my receipts for my expenses?

Yes, the IRS requires that you keep all receipts for your expenses. To process a manual claim you may submit receipts to BCC for services received during the 2018 plan year no later than March 31, 2019. (Please note this date may vary if you enroll in the HDHP).

How do I check my FSA balance or file a claim?

You can view your balance, check claim status, or submit claims by logging on to your mywealthcareonline account. If you need assistance with your online FSA account, please contact BCC at 1-800-685-6100.

My son is turning 13 on April 28, 2019. When are his childcare and summer camp expenses no longer eligible for reimbursement?

If your child is turning 13 on April 28, 2019, you may submit claims for dependent care for services received through April 28, 2019. Care received on April 29th and thereafter cannot be claimed.

You may submit Dependent Care FSA reimbursement forms for care provided to a child dependent under the age of 13 whom you are entitled to claim as a dependent on your tax return. This includes Au pairs, baby sitters, and before and after school care. All fees associated with kindergarten and above and are considered educational in nature, cannot be reimbursed under a Dependent Care FSA.

For FSA video, User Guide, and forms, visit BCC’s resource page at

For additional questions contact Employee Benefits at (650) 363-1919.