Employees and applicants are encouraged to attempt resolution of complaints as quickly as possible at the lowest and least formal level. However, if deemed inappropriate in the judgment of the individual, then he or she is encouraged to pursue resolution at a higher level. The most important consideration should be resolution of the issue.

San Mateo County recognizes four (4) internal reporting procedures:

(A) Resolution within the Department

An employee can discuss the issue/complaint and seek a remedy with his/her immediate supervisor.

If the complaint/issue is not resolved, or the behavior of the employee's supervisor is an issue, the employee is encouraged to pursue resolution through discussion with the next higher level manager up to the Department Director.

(B) Filing an Administrative Complaint

Any employee or applicant for employment may file a complaint with the County's Equal Employment Opportunity Manager (EEO Manager) in the Human Resources Department at:
(650) 363-4340

Written complaints should be directed to:
EEO Manager 
HRD 121
455 County Center, 5th Floor
Redwood City, CA 94063-1663

The EEO Manager, or designee, shall take all complaints seriously and investigate with due diligence. Confidentiality shall be maintained at all times to the greatest extent possible, recognizing the rights of the complainant, the accused, and all third party witnesses.
No employee shall be subjected to intimidation, coercion, or retaliation of any kind as a result of filing a complaint pursuant to this policy or as a result of being a witness in an investigation.

(C) Filing a Grievance

Employees covered by a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) have the right to file a grievance for violation of the union agreement within the time frames set in the applicable MOU. Employees may seek the assistance of their respective union representative. The grievance procedure is outlined in each respective MOU.

(D) Filing an Appeal

An Employee can file for a hearing with the Civil Service Commission on items covered by the Civil Service Rules by submitting a written petition to the Human Resources Department Director that identifies the violation of the Civil Service Rules and specifies discrimination as the reason. If an employee files a petition for hearing with the Commission on a specific item he/she is precluded from also filing a grievance or an internal County administrative discrimination complaint on that item

External Agencies

In addition to the above, employees and applicants always have the option of filing a complaint with either, or both, the state and federal external compliance agencies. The address and phone numbers for each agency are listed below.

California Department of Fair Employment and Housing State Headquarters

2218 Kausen Drive, Suite 100
Elk Grove, CA 95758
(916) 478-7251

United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

450 Golden Gate Avenue
5 West, P.O. Box 36025
San Francisco,  CA  94102-3661
1(800) 669 - 4000