Timber surrounding this area was logged in the late 1800's and early 1900's, both for redwood lumber and the bark of the tan oak tree. In fact, four small sawmill sites are either on or adjacent to the present park boundaries. Fortunately, many of the areas in the park were saved from the logger's saws and were eventually acquired by the County in 1924. The park was memorialized for for the men of San Mateo County who died in the First World War.
The Depression brought many to the area when Memorial Park was established as a project camp for the Work Projects Administration created by President Roosevelt. Many of the existing restrooms, roadways and picnic sites are the result of their efforts.