About the Commission
The Parks Commission acts in an advisory capacity and makes policy recommendations to the Board of Supervisors regarding the management and operation of County natural preserves, marine reserves, open space areas, trails, parks and/or recreation areas and facilities within unincorporated San Mateo County. The Commission reviews and forwards to the Board of Supervisors recommendations regarding fees to be charged for the use of these areas. The Commission advises the Board of Supervisors regarding fish, game and wildlife policies and programs, and makes recommendations to the Board regarding the expenditure of fish and game propagation funds.
Representing the people of San Mateo County and in their interest, act as an advisory body to the Board of Supervisors on matters related to open space, parks and recreation, providing a public and transparent forum on items agendized for its consideration in coordination with the County Parks Director.
Structure of the Commission
There are five Commissioners, each of whom represents one of the five Supervisorial Districts. Commissioners are appointed by the Supervisor elected from that District and serve terms concurrent with the Supervisors. Most Commissioners average 10 hours per month on Commission related business. Service as a Commissioner is as a volunteer. There is no compensation for this position.
District 1 (Pine)
Term Expires: 12/31/2024
District 2 (Corzo)
District 3 (Mueller)
Meda O. Okelo
District 4 (Slocum)
Term Expires: 12/31/2023
District 5 (Canepa)
Term Expires: 12/31/2024
Youth Commissioner: Kevin Chiu
Meetings of the Parks and Recreation Commission are held at 4:00 p.m. on the first Thursday of every month in the Parks Redwood Conference Room located on the 4th floor of 455 County Center.
Meetings are held publicly, both in-person and virtually, and are conducted by a quorum of at least three of the Commissioners. Agendas are set for each meeting and minutes are recorded for actions taken.
Find agendas, minutes, and videos for each meeting linked below.
2023 Meeting Dates
- Thursday, January 5 - Canceled
- Thursday, February 2 - Special Meeting (View video)
- Thursday, March 2
- Thursday, April 6
- Thursday, May 4 (View video)
- Thursday, June 1
- Thursday, July 6
- Thursday, August 3
- Thursday, September 7
- Thursday, October 5
- Thursday, November 2
- Thursday, December 7
2022 Meeting Dates
- Thursday, January 6 (View video)
- Thursday, February 3 (Canceled)
- Thursday, March 3 (View video)
- Tuesday, March 29 Special Meeting (View video)
- Thursday, April 7 (View video)
- Thursday, May 5 (View video)
- Thursday, June 2 (View video)
- Thursday, July 7 (View video)
- Thursday, August 4 - Canceled
- Thursday, September 1 (View video)
- Thursday, October 6 (View video)
- Thursday, November 3 | (View video)
- Thursday, December 1 (View video)
2021 Meeting Dates
- Thursday, February 4 (View video)
- Thursday, April 1 (View video)
- Thursday, June 3
- Thursday, August 5 (View video)
- Thursday, October 7 (View Video)
- Thursday, December 2 (View Video)
View agendas, minutes, and more from 2019-2020 on the San Mateo County Legistar's Website.
View meeting materials from 2013 to 2018 in our Commission Meeting Archive
Meeting Rules & Procedures
Learn rules and procedures for speaking before the Parks Commission and distributing communications among the commissioners.
Written correspondence addressed to or sent from the San Mateo County Parks Commission.