Department Services
Common Improvements
  • How Do I Find Out If My New Business Needs a Use Permit?
  • How Do I Start a Home Occupation?
  • When is a Use Permit Required for Businesses in Unincorporated San Mateo County?
    Anyone looking to open a business in Unincorporated San Mateo County should visit the Planning & Building Department and find out if their proposed business will require a Use Permit. Some business uses are restricted by the Zoning designations for a particular land or building site. Businesses can be cited for a Use Violation if the appropriate Use Permit has not been obtained. Go to the Planning & Building Division site for contact information and office hours.
Coastal/Rural Zone