You need a well construction permit. If you are in the coastal zone and want to install a well, you may also need a Coastal Development Permit (CDP). You can apply for the well construction permit at the Office of Environmental Health on the fourth floor of the County Office Building and for the CDP at Planning on the second floor. In the Coastal Zone, the CDP (or a CDP exemption) must be approved before the Environmental Health Division can issue the well drilling permit.