Advanced reservations are required for all groups of 15 persons or more to visit the tidepools at Fitzgerald Marine Reserve. Doing so limits the number of persons on the reef at any one time, reduces impact on marine life, and helps us protect and preserve the marine resources for future generations.
Reservations are filled by an application process that makes it easier to schedule a group visit and provides more outdoor educational opportunities to schools where at least 40% of children are from low-income households (Title 1 schools).
Tour Application Process
- The application process runs yearly from August 15 to September 15 and allows schools to apply for the entire season. Announcement of the registration process will appear on the Fitzgerald Marine Reserve webpage along with a link to the application form (which will not be functional until Aug 15).
- The application allows groups to select up to 10 preferred dates for their tour.
- There is a limit of 100 students/participants per single tour date.
- Applications will only be accepted for groups with students/participants in grades 3 and up.
- For grades 3-12, one adult chaperone per 5 students is required.
- Additional students/participants cannot be added once the reservation application is submitted.
- When the application period closes we will review applications and work to match reservation dates to the preferred dates selected in the application, with priority given to Title 1 schools.
- Department staff will contact groups by October 15 to confirm reservation dates.
- Groups will have 15 days to respond to the confirmation.
- No tour or reservation fees will be charged.
Ready to apply?
(The application form is open from Aug 15 - Sep 15.)
Missed the tour application window?
If you were unable to apply during the application period and would like to see if there are any remaining dates available, call our reservations line at (650) 363-4021, M-Th 7:30am – 5pm.
Reservations outside of the application period must be made by the first of the month that precedes the month of your desired reservation date. For example, if you would like to make a reservation for March, the last day to make that reservation would be February 1st.
Plan for Your Tour
- Please arrive no sooner than 1 hour before your tour begins and remain in the parking lot until your tour time.
- Make sure you dress appropriately. Layers are encouraged.
- Do not bring food into the tide pool area.
- Remember to enjoy with your eyes, not your hands. Do not touch or remove marine life, and be mindful of your step, both for your own safety and for the well-being and of the organisms that call the Reserve their home.
- See more Fitzgerald Marine Reserve regulations