Updated Friday, August 31, 2018
Sunrise Senior Living is proposing to construct a 2 and 3 story residential elderly care facility with a 63-space underground parking garage at the corner of El Camino Real and East Selby Lane in North Fair Oaks. The facility staff will provide assisted living services for up to 127 elderly residents in 90 residential units (53 studio, 19 double, and 18 semi-private). The project includes the removal of 14 significant trees and approximately 11,000 cubic yards of excavation. Sunrise Senior Living is also requesting the vacation of a 20-foot wide dead-end alley and public sewer easement north of East Selby Lane that adjoins all six parcels. A driveway leading to a pick up/drop off area and ramp to the garage will be accessible from East Selby Lane. An access road is proposed from El Camino Real along the northern side of the building to an area for deliveries, trash pickup and other maintenance services. The facility will include various open spaces including a courtyard, roof garden, and garden along the eastern side of the building.
Five of the six parcels involved in this project, all within the Neighborhood-Mixed Use- El Camino Real (NMU-ECR) Zoning District, are developed with a restaurant, office building, parking lots, and a single-family residence. The sixth parcel is within the Two-Family Residential District/S-5 Combining District (R-2/S-5) and developed with a single-family residence.
This application will require the following:
- Lot Merger to merge six parcels into one 1.42 acre parcel
- General Plan Land Use Map Amendment to change the land use designation of one of the parcels from Multi-Family Residential to Commercial Mixed Use, the land use designation of the other five parcels
- Zoning Map and Text Amendment to rezone the six parcels to Planned Unit Development (PUD) as the proposed facility is not a permitted use in the Neighborhood-Mixed Use-El Camino Real District (NMU-ECR) and Two-Family Residential District (R-2) and does not comply with all the NMU-ECR development standards
- Grading Permit for the excavation of the underground parking garage
- General Plan Conformity (GPC) (via County Real Property Services) for the vacation of the alley and public sewer easement.
- September 4, 2018
Board of Supervisors meeting. The Board of Supervisors will consider the proposed General Plan Land Use Map Amendment, Zoning Map and Text Amendment, and vacation of the alley and sewer easement (vacation process managed by the Real Property Services Division). If approved, the Board of Supervisors will adopt the ordinance for the General Plan Land Use Map Amendment and Zoning Map and Text Amendment, and the resolution authorizing the vacation of the alley and sewer easement.
- July 25, 2018
Planning Commission meeting. The Planning Commission considered the proposed project and recommended approval (four in favor, none opposed) of the proposed General Plan Land Use Map Amendment and Zoning Map and Text Amendment, approved the Lot Merger and Grading Permit to be effective upon the Board of Supervisors' adoption of the proposed General Plan Land Use Map Amendment and Zoning Map and Text Amendment, and found the proposed vacation of the alley and sewer easement to be in compliance with all applicable General Plan policies. The Planning Commission's vacation compliance determination allows the Real Property Services Division to move forward with the applicant's vacation request.
- March 22, 2018
North Fair Oaks Community Council (NFOCC) reviewed project and recommended approval to Planning Commission.
- March 9, 2018
Application deemed complete.
Carmelisa Morales, Project Planner