How to apply?

Submit an application to Building that identifies the property, lists the name of any architect or engineer who will work on the project, and describes the proposed work in detail. Along with that application, submit three sets of sprinkler plans, details, and calculations.

A separate handout entitled Plan Requirements describes requirements in greater detail and gives you examples of how plans should be drawn.

Note: California law requires that fire sprinkler design plans can only be completed by one of the following:

  • Fire Protection Engineer
  • C-16 License Fire Protection Contractor
  • Mechanical Engineer
  • Qualified Homeowner
What fees must I pay?

Fees for an automatic fire sprinkler system include a filing fee, a plumbing permit fee and a plan checking fee. With the exception of the California Department of Forestry, plan check fee will be collected directly by the fire jurisdiction. The plumbing and filing fee are collected by Building Inspection Section at the time that the permit is issued.

For more information on our fees, please see our fees page.

Learn More