You may need a business license and permits from the Planning and Building Division to hold a temporary event. A temporary event is one which is scheduled no more than once a year and is open to the public. Examples of such events are a fair, circus, art festival, block party, church festival, etc.

How to apply?

You can apply at the office of the San Mateo County Tax Collector, 555 County Center, Redwood City. The phone number is (650) 363-4143. On your application, include the following information:

  • The name and nature of the business. Your name and address
  • The location of the business and description of the building
  • If the business has no fixed address, the general location in which you intend to do business.
What fees must I pay?

You must pay a processing fee to the County Tax Collector.