Along with a restored adobe residence from the mid 1800's furnished with period pieces, the area also contains the archaeological evidence of the Mission Dolores Outpost. The site now stands as a reminder of the more spacious and leisurely life of the past.
On the site of a 1786 mission outpost, Don Francisco Sánchez, former Commandante of the San Francisco Presidio and Alcalde of San Francisco, began construction of this adobe residence in 1842. Located between a sheltered inland valley and the ocean estuary of San Pedro Creek, the adobe is near the center of the 8,926-acre Rancho San Pedro, which was granted to Sánchez in 1839.
Earlier, the Franciscan padres from Mission Dolores had built a farm outpost here at the Ohlone Village called Pruristac. For a time, the irrigated fields and grazing lands provided much of the food for the San Francisco mission. The padres originally intended to draw on the coastside Indian population for continued missionary work, but Indian removal to San Francisco and introduction of European diseases contributed to the decline of the natives and probably an epidemic forced the abandonment of the outpost about 1793.
Predating the mission outpost, this site was also a Native American Ohlone Village called Pruristac.
In subsequent years, the owners of the Adobe used it for a residence, roadhouse and artichoke packing shed. Eventually it fell into disrepair until it was purchased by the County of San Mateo and funds were allocated for restoration.
Special programs, such as the Rancho Day each September, are held at the Sánchez Adobe to educate visitors and students about its colorful past. Demonstrations such as brick making and corn grinding are scheduled. The San Mateo Historical Association has a popular school field trip program at the Sánchez Adobe. Scheduling for the following school year opens April 15 for all San Mateo county schools. School requests are made via the form on the the San Mateo Historical Association web site.
On the Grounds
The Sánchez Adobe is located well back in the San Pedro Valley on a flat five-acre parcel adjacent to Linda Mar Boulevard. The site was originally used by as a mission outpost in the late 1700's and archeological remains from this outpost are found on the site.
A number of mature trees, including cypress, pines and eucalyptus trees, are found on the site, but years of intense use have destroyed almost all of the native vegetation. The existing vegetation attracts many birds including starlings, sparrows and humming birds.
A segment of San Pedro Creek exists in the rear (south) part of the site. This stream is important since it is part of a steelhead spawning area. The riparian corridor around the creek contains Red Adler, Bigleaf Maple, and several species of Willow and Thimbleberry.
The Sánchez Adobe is operated for the Department of Parks by the San Mateo County Historical Association. The docents working at the Adobe are volunteers. Special presentations and exhibits are also the work of these dedicated Association volunteers. If you are a history buff, a person interested in the County's colorful background, or just someone who would like to help the Association operate and maintain the Woodside Store, Sánchez Adobe, or the History Museum in Redwood City, you can call the Association at (650) 299-0104.