How to Apply
Many residential rooftop photovoltaic (PV) systems now qualify for instant permit approval. Visit our Symbium tool to see if your project qualifies for instant permit approval.
The following PV systems are not eligible for instant permit approval through the Symbium tool: commercial systems, ground-mounted, or rooftop systems over 38.4 kilowatts alternating current nameplate rating. These can be applied for using our online permit center.
You will need the following project information to complete the application:
- System manufacturer and model
- Module specifications including max power, max open circuit voltage, source circuit current, extreme annual mean minimum dry bulb temperature, UL-2703 fire rating
- Array mounting system details
- Source circuit wiring details
- Total AC rating of PV modules
- For rooftop PVs: roof details including number of surfaces, slope, roof covering materials, and roof access
Additionally, you will need to submit the following required documents:
- Site Plan
- Floor Plan
- Single Line Electrical Drawing with Warning Labels
- Warning Placard
- Electrical Wiring Details
- Load Calculations
- Manufacturer Specification, as applicable
What Fees Must I Pay?
Applicable fees, including those listed below, are assessed online via the online permit application.
For more information on our fees, please see our fees page.
- Application fee: $50
- Residential PV: $450.00 + $15.00 per kW for each kW above 15kW
- Commercial PV: $1,000.00 + $7.00 per kW for each kW between 51kW – 250 kW; + $5.00 per kW for each kW above 250 kW
- Document storage fee: 2% of Planning and Building fees
- Technology fee: 4% of Planning and Building fees
- Legal counsel surcharge: 5% of Planning and Building fees
- Service fee: $25 (only for permits processed through Symbium tool)