ASBS (Area[s] of Special Biological Significance) – Those areas designated by the State Water Board as ocean areas requiring protection of species or biological communities to the extent that alteration of natural water quality is undesirable. All ASBS are also classified as a subset of State Water Quality Protection Areas.
Nonpoint source – A source of pollution without a single point of origin or not introduced into a receiving stream from a specific outlet, such as sediments from construction sites, fertilizers, pesticides, and cleaners.
Point source – A single discharge source of pollution, such as a pipe, tank, or ditch.
Other Useful Resources
- San Mateo County Health (Fitzgerald ASBS Pollution Reduction Program)
- San Mateo County Water Pollution Prevention Program
- San Mateo County NPDES Webpage
- Resource Conservation District
- Critical Coastal Area Program (multi-agency collaboration)
- California's Critical Coastal Areas
- County Environmental Health and Recycle Works