The Human Services Agency is accepting payments for the following Programs: Overpayments for CalWORKs, CalFresh, General Assistance, CAPI (Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants), and Foster Care that are owed to the Human Services Agency.

Click here to make an online payment

Please note:  debit/credit cards and e-checks are acceptable.
For online payments it can take 5-7 business days for a payment
to post to your account.

Who is the collections agent for Human Services Agency?

As of June 2022, Revenue Services is no longer the collections agent for the Human Services Agency for the following programs: CalWORKs, CalFresh, General Assistance (GA), Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI) and Foster Care.  Human Services Agency is now handling all collections in-house for these programs.

See the Overpayments and Collections section for more information

How some collections of overpayments are done:
  • Recoupments from an active program can start at an annual redetermination or at the beginning of a SAR (Semi-Annual Reporting Period) period
  • EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) reduction can happen when a customer requests to have their EBT benefits reduced to make payment towards their overpayment balance
  • EBT reduction can only be for a claim in the same program (CalFresh for CalFresh)
    • Example: If you are currently receiving CalFresh and you have an overrisuance, the amount of your CalFresh benefits that the household currently gets will be reduced until all the overpaid benefits have been paid back.

  • Installment amounts must pay balance in full within 36 months (per claim)
  • Tax intercept
    • Note: Tax Intercept is the process used to collect an Overpayment (OP) from a former CalWORKs recipient and/or Overissuance (OI) from a former CalFresh (Food Stamps) recipient after they have left aid. The process is a collaborative effort between the California Department of Social Services (CDSS), Franchise Tax Board (FTB), California State Lottery, California State Controller’s Office, TOP and County Welfare Departments (CWD).

Questions on your claim?

Note: Please be sure to have billing statement with you before visiting or calling our office.

Billing statements make it easier and quicker to research your case information in our system.  You will need to provide your full name, date of birth, current address, and phone number to look you up in our system.

To schedule an appointment to discuss your claim, set up a payment plan, or ask questions other than to make a direct payment:

Please contact Overpayments and Collections at (650) 508-6779.

Required information: Please leave your name, case number, and phone number when leaving a message. Please speak clearly and concisely, someone will take your information and return your call promptly.