Note: the following recommendation was approved by the Board of Supervisors on June 27, 2017. View the official report.
DISTRICT 1 (Supervisor Dave Pine)
FY 2016-17 Measure K Request
One-Time Grant of $10,000 to Los Hermanos and Hermanas Connection to College to support the expansion of the academic support provided to local students
This is a request to authorize a grant to Los Hermanos and Hermanas Connection to College program at Skyline College, and resulting grant agreement in an amount not to exceed $10,000, to support the expansion of the program to serve additional students enrolled in the South San Francisco Unified School District. The County Manger’s Office will administer and manage the proposed agreement.
Overview of the Los Hermanos and Hermanas Connection to College Program
The Los Hermanos and Hermanas Connection to College (Hermanos C2C) program establishes a pipeline from middle school to college with the purpose of providing holistic support for Latino youth. Hermanos C2C aims to create a safe space for students and their families in an educational setting. Through the connection of an academic counselor, family engagement, resources, and mentorship, Hermanos C2C provides wrap around services to students with the objective of closing the achievement gap. The program provides the following support services for Latino/Latina students enrolled in the South San Francisco Unified High School District:
• Provides wrap around support services to students in middle school at Parkway Heights through their senior year at South San Francisco high school.
• Provides middle school students the opportunity to attend workshops, conferences, and university visits.
• Prepares high school students to transition into college. Sophomores at South San Francisco High School participating in the Hermanos C2C program concurrently enroll at Skyline College and take pre-determined coursework in various General Education subjects until they are seniors. By the end of their senior year, they will have accumulated sixteen units of college transferable units.
• Arranges transportation to university visits, conferences, and workshops for high school students.
• Provides students with direct link to support and services at Skyline College, such as the Puente Project, TRiO, EOPS, transfer center, skyline promise, and summer scholars.
Goals of the Los Hermanos and Hermanas Connection to College Program
The Hermanos C2C Program began as a program at Skyline College to identify and and provide wrap around services for one academic year to male Latino students to improve graduation rates. In January 2017, the program expanded to both add female students and to provide supportive services for 5 years in order to support a full pathway from middle school through the successful enrollment at Skyline College and four-year universities. Securing additional funding will allow the program to provide additional opportunities to enrolled students, including:
• College and university site visits
• Guest speakers
• Family events
• Student conferences
• Fort Miley Ropes Course
• Incorporate a mentoring component
• Provide laptops for students
With this grant of Measure K funds, Hermanos C2C will ensure that students participate in a range of activities and be provided with direct support to enhance their academic experience and provide them with new tools and knowledge to achieve their educational goals.
In August of 2018, Hermanos C2C will report data about the program’s performance, including the additional number of students served as a result of the grant, rates of graduation from high school among the students served, and the rate of students served enrolling in college.
Total One-Time Measure K Request: Not to Exceed $10,000
The funds are to be disbursed to the following organization for the purposes described above:
3300 College Drive
San Bruno, CA 94066
The release of funds will be contingent on the execution of a grant agreement providing for the County’s confirmation of the expenditure of funds for the purposes stated herein.