Important note: The following recommendation was approved by the Board of Supervisors on Aug. 4, 2015:
DISTRICT 4 (Supervisor Warren Slocum)
FY 2015-17 Measure A Request LEMO Foundation Playmakers Program $50,000 one-time
LEMO Foundation provides at-risk teens (12- 18 years old) with the tools to navigate life challenges and the foundation to go forward with confidence. Through improved academic performance, rigorous disciplined training, mentoring relationships, and help with basic needs (food, clothing), LEMO Foundation’s Playmakers program improves student’s GPA, increases their chances of high school graduation, and college acceptance and attendance.
Since 2008, 100% of participants have graduated from high school, and 75% have received college scholarships. LEMO Foundation improves academic performance with the following methods:
1. Assessment of learning differences
2. Goal setting and monthly meetings to discuss grades, testing, class behavior, etc.
3. Quiet and safe study environment at the LEMO Academic Resource Center
4. Correspondence with guidance counselors and teachers
5. SAT Prep and college applications
6. Next-level support for Playmakers in college to define academic goals and prepare for life in community via career and professional internships
7. Requirement for community service
The $50,000 in district Measure A funds will be used for program services and equipment for 20 participants. HSA will work with LEMO staff on building performance measures and targets into the agreements.
Important note: This is a copy of the official report -- item 5 on the Board's agenda.