This page provides many education and outreach efforts resources to assist in your efforts to ensure a fair and accurate count of all residents of the County of San Mateo. Check back frequently and/or sign up for updates to continue to find out about any updated information.
FACTSHEETS, Flyers, Postcards
Census 2020: Frequently Asked Questions
Census 2020: What You Need to Know (Monolingual; 2 sided)
Provides an overview of Census 2020 (what, why, how, who, when).
Census 2020: What You Need to Know (Bilingual; 2 sided)
Provides a quick overview of Census 2020 in English + another language.
Everyone Counts Postcard
Includes key information about Census 2020, how to pledge to participate, and ways to support a complete count.
Everyone Counts! Census 2020 Flipbook
Small flipbook designed for 4.5" x 5.5" printing, but can be printed at any size. Each page covers specific questions or issues frequently raised, with lots of graphics, to make it very user-friendly.
Census 101: Recorded Presentation (13 minutes)
Video presentation including an overview of Census 2020, what's at stake, and how we are ensuring a complete count in San Mateo County.
Languages: English, Chinese, Spanish
Census 2020: Community Presentation
Slide presentation providing Census 2020 overview for community residents.
Census 2020: Partner Presentation
Slide presentation encouraging stakeholders to join Census 2020 complete count efforts.
ICMA San Mateo County Presentation: Census 2020 - Building Civic Engagement and Community Networks
Educate, motivate, and activate your community through civic engagement ensuring that in the Census 2020 Everyone Counts!
Census 2020 is Here! (477 words)
Languages: English, Chinese, Spanish
The Power of Numbers: Why an Accurate 2020 Census Matters for Democracy (434 words)
You may have heard the headcount will help determine how the federal, state and local governments will award hundreds of millions of dollars over the next 10 years. Just as important, your political representation depends on an accurate count.
Census Tells the Story of San Mateo County's Diversit Over TIme (384 words)
Make sure your family's story is reflected in the 2020 Census.
Languages: English, Chinese, Tagalog
Census 2020: Show Your Love for Your Community This Valentine's Day (453 words)
From Cupid Row to Rose Lane, wev'e compiled a list of Valentine-themed places in San Mateo County where you can pledge to participate in Census 2020.
Languages: English, Chinese, Tagalog
Census 2020: What's at Stake in the 2020 Census (315 words)
The upcoming 2020 Census is vital to the health of San Mateo County, and population results in key federal funding of critical health programs.
VIDEOS + PSA
Census 2020: The Faces of San Mateo County
A video featuring employees from San Mateo County showing their commitment to Census 2020 and why it is so important to our community to complete the survey.
San Mateo County Resident Testimonials about Census 2020
Brief videos (~60 seconds) from county residents on the importance of participating in Census 2020.
- Antonio Ruiz, Multicultural Institute (Spanish)
- Dr. Charito Sico, Kaiser Permanente, Pediatrican
- Henrietta Burroughs: East Palo Alto Today, Founder and Editor
- Lilian Chang: San Mateo County Youth Commission
- Shelley Cheng: Census Ambassador / San Mateo Adult School (Mandarin Chinese)
- Ben Renda, San Mateo County Veteran Commission
Census 2020 Training Video
A training video created to provide an overview of the 2020 Census as well as presenting various scenarios about census education and outreach.
- Shape Your Future: The 2020 Census (U.S. Census Bureau)
- Census 2020: Stand Up For the Count (Ford Foundation)
- Census 2020 (Miami Dade TV)
- Count All Kids Census 2020
- What is the Census? (Naleo)
Tutorial about how to post on Facebook Live:
San Mateo County has not created any stand-alone posters yet, however we are co-branded on the following posters:
US Census Bureau Posters
- Posters About Confidentiality:
- Posters About Young Children:
- Posters About Education:
- Posters About Healthcare:
- Posters About LGBTQ:
Bay Area Counts 2020 (United Way)
- Be Counted Poster:
Census 2020 Countdown Widget
Can be placed on a website as a reminder for Census 2020, and links back to the San Mateo County Census 2020 Webpage.
|<iframe src="//cmo.smcgov.org/sites/cmo.smcgov.org/files/countdown_clock_1.html" width=260 height=290 frameborder=0 scrolling=no></iframe>|
Presentation or Tabling
Are you interested in having someone from our census team attend your event to provide information about Census 2020? Please complete the form linked here.
Do you have an upcoming outreach event and would like Census 2020 materials to distribute? Please fill out this form (with as much time in advance as possible). Please note: we have limited amounts of some items and therefore they may not be available.
Resources Created by Other Organizations
Bay Area Counts 2020 (United Way) Materials
The United Way Bay Area's census campaign, known as Bay Area Counts 2020, has co-branded the following materials:
- Flyer (
Bay Area Counts 2020 also created a variety of social-media ready images in .jpg format, in multiple languages, which are NOT co-branded. Images have been created to fit: as an email banner, or as a post for facebook, instagram or LinkedIn. The following languages are available:
- Social Media Images: Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), English, Farsi, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Punjabi, Spanish, Tagalog, Telugu, Vietnamese
NALEO Educational Fund
NALEO Educational Fund is the nation's leading non-profit, non-partisan organization that facilitates full Latino participation in the Americal political process. Below is a small sampling of their materials, you may go directly to their website to view the entire list of materials by clicking here.
- What is the Census? Census 101: English, Spanish
- The Invisible Ones: How Latino Children are Left Out of our Nation's Census Count: English Full Report, English Summary
- How the US Census Works: English Video
United States Census Bureau
The United States Census Bureau offers materials about the 2020 Census that can be shared with the public and to help partners effectively engage their communities. Below is a small sampling of their materials, you may go directly to their website to view the entire list of materials by clicking here.
Outreach Materials Created for Specific Audiences:
- Black / African American: Fact Sheet, Half-Page Handout
- Faith Communities: Why Your Faith Community Should Become a 2020 Census Official Partner: English, Spanish
Public Service Announcements (PSAs / Videos):
- Census 2020: Why Should I Care About the Census
- Census 2020: They Also Count (Spanish)
- Census 2020: Every Moment Counts
- Census 2020: Is My Census 2020 Data Safe?
Guides + Toolkits
San Mateo County-Created
- Communications Calendar: this Google Document includes all the social media posts + themes for each week, key observances, talking points, the call to action for that week, and links to resources.
- Social Media Guide (now incorporated into Commication Calendar - see above)
- Outreach Toolkit
- Disability Rights California: 2020 Census Disability Community Toolkit
- First 5: Census Message Guide, Final, English (word .doc)
- Sample Paper Questionnaire
- Census 2020 Timeline