When the public health emergency officially started on March 18, 2020, it stopped your Medi-Cal benefits from ending or your benefits from being reduced, with some exceptions, without requiring an annual renewal. Starting April 1, 2023, Medi-Cal will once again require our agency to determine eligibility every year.
When and how should you renew your Medi-Cal?
- Update your and your family’s information if there has been a change (name, address, contact information, pregnancy, gave birth, change in household, immigration status, income). Make sure we have your current name, address, phone number, and email address. The county needs your current information to contact you with important information about keeping your Medi-Cal. Call us at 1(800) 223 - 8383. Update electronically . Send us a change of address through our dropbox , visit us Regional Office.
- Wait for us to contact you about renewing your Medi-Cal coverage. We will first attempt to renew your Medi-Cal automatically for another year. If this occurs, you will receive a notice confirming you are renewed for another year. If we are not able to automatically renew, you will receive a Medi-Cal renewal packet in the mail from us.
- If you receive a renewal packet in the mail. Read the paperwork carefully. Complete and return the form in the packet and requested verifications by the due date mentioned in the letter. If we ask you for more information, such as paystubs, return the information by the due date.
- If you do not respond by the due date, your Medi-Cal benefits may end. If you miss the due date, you should still send the information. We may still take the information if it is submitted within 90 days from the date of discontinuance and use it to decide if you still qualify for continuing Medi-Cal coverage.
You can submit your renewal packet through one of the following ways below.
- Online through BenefitsCal or Covered California
- By mail in the return envelope provided: Human Services Agency
- Upload to our dropbox
- Call us: 1(800) 223 - 8383
- Drop off at a Regional Office
If you enrolled in a private health insurance plan with Covered CA, you will receive a notification from Covered CA and you may renew your health coverage on their website at www.coveredca.com.