Financial Assistance Home

Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) provides cash assistance to qualified refugees, including Asylees, Cuban/Haitians (Cuban and Haitian Entrant Cash Assistance- ECA), Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) holders, certain Humanitarian Parolees, Amerasians, and Certified Victims of Human Trafficking who are not otherwise eligible for any other cash aid assistance. RCA is available for up to 12 months from date of admission to the U.S. in qualifying status, date of final grant of asylum or date of certification by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) as Victim of Trafficking.

In addition, Applications for RCA and TCVAP are the same as a CalWORKs application. Individuals applying for RCA or TCVAP who have minor children must first be evaluated for eligibility for CalWORKs. Individuals who do not have minor children or who have minor children but do not qualify for CalWORKs (such as those who do not meet the deprivation requirements) should be evaluated for RCA or TCVAP cash aid.

How Do I Apply?
  • In Person: If you want to apply in person, you may do so at any of our regional offices. You may also use any of the options below to submit your application.
  • By Phone: Call San Mateo County HSA Service Center: 1-800-223-8383 Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
  • Online:

        Individuals in California applying for assistance are encouraged to consult with one of the many              state-funded organizations that provide legal services to immigrants.
        Here is a list of immigration services providers funded by the California Department of Social                    Services (CDSS).

Submit Verifications:

Submit your verifications for CalFresh, Medi-Cal, CalWORKS, General Assistance, and CAPI by clicking the link below.

Additional Resources:
  • Call 211 to connect with community services for food, shelter, job services, senior services, counseling and much, much more. To use the services just dial “211”
  • For employment services and training, please email
  • For emergency food and to apply for CalFRESH (food stamps): San Mateo County Food Connection 1-800-984-3663