"VETERAN" on Driver's License


Eligible veterans have the opportunity to add the word “VETERAN” to the front of their DL/ID card to indicate that they have served in the U.S. Military.


1. Bring in a copy of your DD-214 and Driver's License to the VSO.

2. Fill out a Veterans Status Verification form and have it certified by a Veterans Service Officer.

3. Take your completed form to the DMV and pay for license renewal to have a new license with "VETERAN" on it.

VA Healthcare Card

Veterans enrolled in the VA healthcare system are eligible to receive a VA healthcare ID card at the nearest VA main healthcare campus.

Veteran ID Card - Press Release

Veterans with honorable service will be able to apply for the new VA ID card, which can be utilized to provide proof of military service in lieu of the standard DD-214 form to obtain discounts and other services offered to Veterans.

Retiree ID Card

Veterans that are 100% service connected are eligible for a military retiree card that allows access to military installations, the commissary, post-exchange, and other privileges.

CALVET - Veteran Designation on Drivers License

Veteran ID Card - Press Release

For questions regarding ID Cards, please call San Mateo County Veterans Services Office at (650) 802-6598.