Financial Assistance Home

California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids, also known as CalWORKs, provides temporary cash assistance to low-income families with children along with services to help parents find and keep a job. CalWORKs can also help children who are not receiving financial support and care from their parents. HSA staff can also assist with health insurance and food assistance.

Who is Eligible?
  • A Family with a child or children under the age of 18
  • A pregnant person in their second trimester
  • A pregnant teen
  • An individual/family who is a resident of California
  • An individual/family who meets the income and property limits
  • An individual/family who is a citizen or meets the immigration requirements

How Do I Apply?
  • In Person:
    In response to COVID-19, most county human services offices have limited hours or may be closed to the public, limiting the ability to apply in person. If you want to apply in person, check first if your local county office is open, their business hours and requirements for walk-in clients.  You may also use any of the options below to submit your application.
  • By Phone: Call San Mateo’s Service Center’s 1-800-223-8383
  • Online:

What do I need to apply?
  • Identification-Driver’s license, California ID card, passport, birth certificates for children in your family
  • Proof of residency-Rent, mortgage receipt or utility bill
  • Proof of income-Paystubs, Social Security award letter, Child Support/alimony, unemployment/disability stubs or veterans benefits
  • Proof of Resources- Documents verifying the value of checking and savings accounts, savings bonds, stocks, or retirement accounts

If you do not have all the documents listed, you can still apply. The County will provide you with a list of what is needed, give you some time to provide, and can help you obtain missing verification.

Common Forms:

Additional Resources
  • Call 211 to connect with community services for food, shelter, job services, childcare, senior services, counseling and much, much more. To use the services just dial “211.”
  • For employment services and training questions, please email   
  • For emergency food and to apply for CalFRESH (food stamps): San Mateo County Food Connection 1-800-934-3663