Who is Eligible?
You can apply for Medi-Cal year-round. Eligibility can take up to 45 days to determine and 90 days to determine for disabled individuals.
What Do You Need to Apply?
You’ll need to provide the information below for all household members. HSA will try to verify your information electronically. If we can’t, we’ll ask you for verification documentation.
- Identification – Driver's license, California ID card, passport, birth certificates, or proof of immigration status
- Social Security numbers for applicants who have them or are eligible to have them
- Proof of residency – Rent or mortgage receipt or utility bill
- Proof of income – Pay stubs, Social Security award letter, child support and alimony, unemployment/disability stubs, or Veterans benefits
- Tax filing information for anyone in the household who files taxes or is claimed as a dependent (you don’t have to file taxes to qualify for Medi-Cal)
- Property ownership for those applying on the basis of age (65+) or disability
How do I apply?
Please use one of the options below to submit your application.
Online through MyBenefits CalWIN
- By phone at 1-800-223-8383. If you are Out of the State, please call (650) 594-5917 .
- Other ways to apply: Complete and submit the application (English | Español | 中文 | русский | Tagalog | Tiếng Việt) by one of the following:
- Mail: Human Services Agency, Regional Offices
- Drop-off Application at a Regional Office
- Apply in person at one of our Regional Offices
How do I know if I was approved for Medi-Cal?
You will receive a Notice of Action (NOA) or a Request for Information. The Notice of Action will inform you of your benefits and list each eligible individual in your household. If we need more information to determine your eligibility, you will receive a Request for Information.
If you disagree with the eligibility decision, you may call 1-800-223-8383 for an explanation or you may file for a State Hearing by completing the back of your Notice of Action. If you are Out of the State, please call (650) 594-5917 .
Once you have been approved for Medi-Cal, you will receive a Benefits Identification Card (BIC) in the mail.
You will be automatically enrolled in the Health Plan of San Mateo which is the managed care plan for San Mateo County. You will receive a packet and HPSM ID card.