United Against Hate Week (Nov. 13-19th, 2022) is a call for local civic action to stop the hate and implicit biases that are a threat to the safety and civility of our neighborhoods, towns, and cities. We want to empower local residents to take action in their local communities and alter the course of this growing intolerance. When cities and their residents work together against hate, we can restore respect and civil discourse, embrace the strength of diversity and build inclusive and equitable communities for all.
Join us! You can post signs, host events, share stories, attend rallies, and connect with schools and neighborhood civic institutions. Nothing is too small, because working united in each community is what will defeat hate in all communities. Learn more at unitedagainsthateweek.org.
Do you stand against hate?
Tell us more! Send an email to ImmigrantServices@smcgov.org responding to these prompts:
- "I stand against hate because _______________________." -OR-
- "A hate-free California looks like ______________________________."
We encourage you to send a photo or short video holding a United Against Hate sign! Send us your text, photos and videos for a chance to be featured on our social media.
Posters & graphics
Film Screening of Who’s Next?
- Join us for a live film screening of this critically acclaimed documentary that focuses on six Muslim families—citizens and long-time legal residents—in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
Monday, Nov. 14 5pm-8pm
San Mateo Main Library
Resources for Victims of Crimes & How to Report a Hate Crime / Recursos para víctimas de crimenes y cómo denunciar un crimen de odio
- During this month's Spotlight event, we will feature a presentation by San Mateo County Victim's Services live on the County's Facebook page.
Wednesday, Nov. 16 - English at 5:00pm; Spanish at 5:30pm
- Durante el evento Spotlight de este mes, los Servicios para Víctimas del Condado de San Mateo presentará información en vivo en la página de Facebook del Condado.
Miércoles, 16 de noviembre - Inglés a las 5:00pm; Español a las 5:30pm
United Against Hate Proclamation at Board of Supervisors Meeting
- The County of San Mateo Board of Supervisors will recognize United Against Hate week.
Tuesday, Nov. 15 9am
Board Chambers & Online
TransACTION Day of Change*
- In honor of *Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDOR), you are invited to a TransACTION Day of Change, which will feature Resource Booths, an Allegiance Wall, Reading of the Names, and a Candlelight Vigil. This event is free, inclusive, and will feature an Allegiance Wall where you can sign your name and walk away with practical ways to build awareness and ways that allies can impact and create a safer community for everyone.
Friday, Nov.18 3pm-5:30pm
Courthouse Square, Redwood City
More Events & Resources
More events in San Mateo County including United Against Hate Storytimes for kids as well as a Racial Equity Mural Celebration, Inner Peace Meditation Session, and more!
Trainings on bystander intervention, preventing and responding to harassment, resilience, and conflict de-escalation are offered virtually by the organization Right to Be. Click here to view the schedule & register