The County of San Mateo is committed to ensuring a complete count of all residents in Census 2020. Large segments of the county have historically been hard to count or are expected to be less likely to respond given the current political climate. Therefore, we aim to work with trusted community partners to educate, motivate, and activate residents in participating in the census. The county is seeking proposals from community organizations to assist in outreach to motivate and activate residents to complete their 2020 census surveys. Applications should detail culturally and linguistically tailored strategies for motivating and educating the least likely to respond residents that they propose to target for census outreach. Strategies can be a mix of what has worked in the past and innovative/creative ideas.
A total of up to $100,000 will be available through this RFP - by hosting an event to raise awareness of, and highlight the importance of, the Census. Events could include hosting a block party, BBQ, children's carnival, picnic, concert, or other gathering to bring people together.
Proposers must be from not for profit organizations and can include:
- Organizations: must be a nonprofit, tax-exempt such as a 501(c)3, or an organization that files a 990, 990 EZ, or 990-N with the IRS and serves San Mateo County.
- Government Agencies: Cities located with San Mateo County and special districts, or County Departments
- School groups: Must provide educational services to resident students in San Mateo County
- Coalitions: Groups comprised of two or more organization
- RFP Released: January 29, 2020 9:00 AM PST
- Deadline for questions, comments, and exceptions: February 10, 2020 5:00 PM PST
- Proposal due date and time: February 19, 2020 5:00 PM PST
In order to expand Census Outreach support throughout the County of San Mateo, applicants who have received funding from Request for Proposals (RFP) Number OCA1001, OCA1002, and/or OCA1003 are not eligible to apply.
RFP #OCA1004 Documents
Questions + Answers
It appears that a complete submission in response to this RFP will consist of 3 to 5 pages, as follows:
- A completed Proposal Cover Sheet (1 page)
- A completed Application Form (1 page)
- A completed Funding Application (1 page)
- Answers to the four Proposal Questions listed on a page of the RFP that is labeled "5" (1 to 2 pages)
Is this correct?
Yes, that is correct.
Can a bidder, bidding alone or as a member of a coalition, submit more than one proposal in response to this RFP, and be awarded a contract or contracts as a results of such proposal/s?
Yes, you may submit more than one proposal, as long as each proposal is for one unique event. Please be clear in your proposal who the primary contractor will be.
As one of our proposals (covering Region 7), we are considering offering, in cooperation with the Half Moon Bay Library and the Coastside Immigrant Advocacy Group (IAG), an installation at the library that will enable community members to walk in and, using Library computer equipment and internet connections, complete the online version of the Census right then and there. There will be two tables at the Library, attended by IAG and ALAS volunteers, which will be offering this capability. Extensive Census publicity materials, in Spanish and English, will be offered at and around the tables, and the volunteers will be trained according to County specifications. This activity would be offered daily at the Library during the entire term of the contract resulting from this proposal. This approach would avoid home visits to our residents, wihch visits are often seen as threatening, and reduce Census response rates.
Would a proposal offering such an on-going activity (but within the funding guidelines of the RFP) qualify for inclusion under this RFP?
RFP 1004 specifies that funding is for an event, not on-going activities. See pages 4 and 5 of the RFP for more information.
When do the events need to take place by?
The events would need to occur by May 31st, 2020.
How to Submit
You can submit your proposal in three ways by Wednesday, February 19th, by 5:00 PM PST:
- Through PublicPurchase
- By emailing all documents to: CensusEventsRFP4@smcgov.org
- By mailing or dopping off a hard-copy to:
San Mateo County
Office of Community Affairs
400 County Center, 1st Floor
Redwood City, CA 94063