Who is Eligible?
Low-income Californians, including adults, children and their families, persons with disabilities, children in foster care, former foster youth up to age 26, and pregnant individuals
Eligible immigrants receive full-scope Medi-Cal or restricted Medi-Cal based on immigration status
Uninsured who need free COVID-19 health care: If you are uninsured or have Medi-Cal but do not have a regular doctor, call the Medi-Nurse line 24 hours a day. You'll get COVID-19 advice and referrals for free testing and treatment, regardless of income and immigration status. Learn more (English | Spanish).
We help you determine your eligibility for health care coverage
Don't know if you qualify for Medi-Cal? Even if you don’t, we encourage you to still apply. We will evaluate you for other affordable health care options:
- Covered California: Helps qualified applicants obtain discounted health insurance from well-known companies
- The County Children’s Health Initiative Program (CCHIP): Provides affordable and comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance for children up to age 18.
- Medi-Cal Access Program (MCAP): Provides healthcare to mid-income, uninsured pregnant women.
Don't qualify for insurance?
You can still receive basic, affordable health care services through San Mateo County Access and Care for Everyone (ACE). This program serves uninsured residents regardless of immigration status, employment status, or pre-existing medical conditions. Learn more about applying: ACE Brochure at: https://www.smchealth.org/sites/main/files/file-attachments/hcuace_brochureenglish.pdf?1496158842.
What services does Medi-Cal cover?
Visit Medi-Cal Covered Benefits for a list of Essential Health Benefits covered by Medi-Cal.
Does Medi-Cal cover dental services?
Visit Medi-Cal Dental Program for information about the Medi-Cal Dental Services available to you.
I lost my Medi-Cal card. How can I replace it?
You can request a replacement Medi-Cal card, also known as a Benefits Identification Card or (BIC) by calling our Customer Service Center at 1-800-223-8383. If you are Out of the State, please call (650) 594-5917.
Can I apply if I have another type of insurance?
You can apply for Medi-Cal even if you have another type of insurance.
How long does it take for my application to get approved?
Applications are usually processed in 45 days (90 days for disability applications).
What do I need to apply?
It will be easier to process your application if you have the following ready:
- Identification – Driver's license, California ID card, passport, birth certificates, or proof of immigration status
- Proof of residency – Rent or mortgage receipt or utility bill.
- You may also be asked to provide information about: Proof of income – Pay stubs, Social Security award letter, child support and alimony, unemployment/disability stubs, or veterans benefits
- Resources – Checking and savings account statements, savings bonds, stock certificates, retirement accounts, vehicle registration