The General Assistance Program provides temporary financial support to eligible county residents who are not supported by their own means, other public funds, or assistance programs. Employable adults are required to participate in Employment Services. Some participants may be eligible for Medi-Cal, and/or Food benefits.
Who Is Eligible?
- An individual who is a resident of San Mateo County, for at least 15 consecutive days
- An individual who is at least 18 years old
- An individual who meets the income and property limits
- An individual who is a citizen or meets the immigration requirements
How Do I Apply?
- In Person: In response to COVID-19, most county human services offices have limited hours or may be closed to the public, limiting the ability to apply in person. If you want to apply in person, check first if your local county office is open, their business hours and requirements for walk-in clients. You may also use any of the options below to submit your application.
- By Phone: Call San Mateo’s Service Center’s 1-800-223-8383
- Online: www.mybenefitscalwin.org
What do I need to apply?
To make your application process easier, please have the following ready:
- Identification – Driver’s license, California ID card, passport, birth certificates
- Proof of residency – Rent or mortgage receipt or utility bill
- Proof of income – Pay stubs, Social Security award letter, child support and alimony, unemployment/disability stubs, or veteran’s benefits
- Resources – Checking and savings account statements, savings bonds, stock certificates, or retirement accounts
If you do not have all the documents listed, you can still apply. The County will provide you with a list of what is needed, give you some time to provide, and can help you obtain missing verification.
- SSP-14 Authorization for Reimbursement of Interim Assistance Initial claim or Post Eligibility Case: English | Spanish
- C-659 Agreement to Reimburse County of San Mateo for General Assistance Aid Monies Received : English | Spanish
- SSA-1696 Appointment of Representative English
- Call 211 to connect with community services for food, shelter, job services, senior services, counseling and much, much more. To use the services just dial “211”
- For employment services and training, please email email@example.com
- For emergency food and to apply for CalFRESH (food stamps): San Mateo County Food Connection 1-800-984-3663