Financial Assistance Home

The General Assistance Program provides temporary financial support to eligible county residents who are not supported by their own means, other public funds, or assistance programs. Employable adults are required to participate in Employment Services. Some participants may be eligible for Medi-Cal, and/or food assistance.


  Watch Out for EBT Scams ! 




Tenga Cuidado Con Las Estafas De Las Tarjetas De EBT !! 

California has been experiencing an increase in occurrence of Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) theft. In an effort to educate EBT cardholders and mitigate this activity, the California Department of Social Services is providing security tips for those who use EBT cards to receive food and cash assistance in the following linked video. If you think your benefits may have been stolen, you should immediately call the customer service telephone number on the back of your EBT card, (877) 328-9677, or contact your Human Services Agency at 1-800-223-8383.


Who Is Eligible?
  • An individual who is a resident of San Mateo County, for at least 15 consecutive days
  • An individual who is at least 18 years old
  • An individual who meets the income and property limits
  • An individual who is a citizen or meets the immigration requirements

How Do I Apply?
  • In Person: If you want to apply in person, you may do so at any of our regional offices. You may also use any of the options below to submit your application.
  • By Phone: Call San Mateo’s Service Center’s 1-800-223-8383

What do I need to apply?

To make your application process easier, please have the following ready:

  • Identification – Driver’s license, California ID card, passport, birth certificates
  • Proof of residency – Rent or mortgage receipt or utility bill
  • Proof of income – Pay stubs, Social Security award letter, child support and alimony, unemployment/disability stubs, or veteran’s benefits
  • Resources – Checking and savings account statements, savings bonds, stock certificates, or retirement accounts

If you do not have all the documents listed, you can still apply. The County will provide you with a list of what is needed, give you some time to provide, and can help you obtain missing verification.

Common Forms:
  • SSP-14 Authorization for Reimbursement of Interim Assistance Initial claim or Post Eligibility Case: English | Spanish
  • SSA-1696 Appointment of Representative English 

Submit Verifications:

Submit your verifications for CalFresh, Medi-Cal, CalWORKS, General Assistance, and/or CAPI by clicking the link below.

Submit Verifications

Additional Resources:
  • Call 211 to connect with community services for food, shelter, job services, senior services, counseling and much, much more. To use the services just dial “211”
  • For employment services and training, please email
  • For emergency food and to apply for CalFRESH (food stamps): San Mateo County Food Connection 1-800-984-3663