Volunteers modeling backpacks


Backpacks and School Supplies to San Mateo County Youth

The purpose of the Children’s Fund’s Back-to-School Backpack and School Supply distribution is to ensure that low-income and foster children in grades K-12 start the school year with the tools they need, feeling prepared and ready to learn. This year, we plan to serve more than 1,800 youth for back-to-school season in San Mateo County.

Each child in our program is given a backpack filled with grade-appropriate school supplies.  All backpacks and school supplies are generously donated by the community. We serve the children during the back-to-school season and distribute the goods in time for the first day of school. 

These items make a difference!  A social worker who distributed backpacks and school supplies to foster children in time for the first day of school told us that the items, “made a big impact on their lives and were a huge motivation for them to start school.”


Who do We Serve

We serve foster and low-income students entering K-12. Contact your case manager to apply!  We begin taking applications in June and distribute everything by the beginning of August in time for the first day of school.


Host a Collection Drive or Donate to Help a Child!

Host a Backpack or School Supply Drive in your community! Collect items from your neighbors, friends, family, or co-workers. We'll provide you with a flyer, build-a-backpack list, and a tips for hosting a collection drive document!

Visit our Amazon wish list to purchase much needed items. Please note all our items purchased through our Amazon wish list will be automatically sent to the Children’s Fund warehouse located on 1 Davis Drive, Belmont CA 94002. All checks and monetary donations must be mailed to the Children’s Fund office location at 500 County Center, Redwood City CA 94063. We appreciate your support!

Make a monetary donation and we will credit it to the school supply drive!



Contact us anytime: 650-802-5152 or childrensfund@smcgov.org

NOTEIf you are a parent or guardian of a child who wishes to receive these services, please have your case manager or social worker contact us. We do not accept requests directly from the public. All children who receive services from the Children's Fund must be referred by their case manager or social worker.