Where We Belong
We all search for places #WhereWeBelong. Whether it’s your local library or office or park, join us this Welcoming Week to celebrate the places, spaces, and people that create a sense of belonging for everyone
The County of San Mateo Office of Community Affairs is pleased to recognize and celebrate Welcoming Week 2022 (Sept. 9-18). Welcoming Week is an annual campaign and celebration to showcase the movement of communities striving to be more welcoming places for all, including migrants. Launched in 2012 by Welcoming America and its members in the United States, Welcoming Week is now a global movement that brings communities and neighbors of all backgrounds together to build strong connections and affirm the importance of inclusive places. The County of San Mateo is proud to be a Welcoming America member and we are thrilled to offer events this September to demonstrate our support and appreciation for all residents in our county.
Join us at events celebrating Welcoming Week!
See below for a list of online and in-person events, or follow us on Instagram & Twitter @smc_commaffairs to help spread the message of welcome.
Please contact ImmigrantServices@smcgov.org with questions.
Welcoming Week Proclamation & Video Screening at Board of Supervisors Meeting
- The County of San Mateo Board of Supervisors will recognize Welcoming Week, and screen the premiere of our new video Welcome to San Mateo County!
Tuesday, Sept. 13 at 9:00am
Know Your Rights Workshop / Taller Conozca sus derechos
- Attend this free online workshop streamed live on the County of San Mateo's Facebook page.
Tuesday, Sept.13 at 5:00pm in English
Asista a este taller en línea gratuito en la página de Facebook del Condado de San Mateo.
martes, 13 de septiembre a las 5:30pm en español
Drop-In Immigration Law Clinics /
Clínica de consejo legal de inmigración sin cita previa
- Receive free in-person counsel from an immigration attorney. First come, first served; limited appointments available. We will also have Citizenship materials available. /
Reciba asesoramiento gratuito en persona de un abogado de inmigración. Por orden de llegada; atenderemos a los clientes en el orden en que lleguen. También tendremos materiales de ciudadanía.
North Fair Oaks: Sept. 17 / 17 de septiembre 10am-1pm
Half Moon Bay: Sept. 18 / 18 de septiembre 10am-3pm
East of Salinas on-demand film
- Looking for a good film to watch over the weekend? Available for 3 days only, receive a free code to watch the award-winning documentary East of Salinas from the comfort of your home! First 100 sign ups will receive access.
Film will be available for on-demand viewing 9/16 - 9/18
Request access using this form (code will be emailed on 9/15)
SMC Immigrant Inclusion Summit
- Our annual Summit will include speakers and sessions that highlight the immigrant experience in San Mateo County. Featuring a musical performance to kickoff Hispanic Heritage Month!
Thursday, Sept. 15 1pm-3pm (virtual) - Zoom Registration Required
Spotlight Event: Refugee and Asylee Benefits, Services & Health Access in San Mateo County
- During this month's Spotlight event, we will host a workshop on healthcare and other resources available to new asylees. Streamed live on the County of San Mateo's Facebook page, and presented by San Francisco Department of Public Health Newcomers Health Program.
Wednesday, Sept. 14 at 5pm
Belonging & Inclusion Storytimes
- Visit a San Mateo County Libraries branch this week to attend special Storytimes featuring books and songs that promote messages of inclusion, tolerance and welcoming for kids. We will also have Immigrant Resource guides and other informational materials available.
Millbrae Library: Sept. 12 at 10:30am
East Palo Alto Library: Sept. 14 at 11am (bilingual - Spanish)
San Carlos Library: Sept. 16 at 10:30am
Please visit https://smcl.org/blogs/post/fostering-belonging-this-welcoming-week/ for more dates & locations!
Welcome to San Mateo County video playing at Quarry Park
- Our brand new Welcoming Video, which features many community residents, will be playing before the showing of a Wrinkle in Time!
Saturday, Sept. 17 at 7:00pm - Quarry Park in El Granada
In celebration of Welcoming Week 2022, San Mateo County residents and leaders came together to deliver a message of belonging and inclusion. Welcome to San Mateo County, we're so glad you're here!