Important note: The following recommendation was approved by the Board of Supervisors on Sept. 1, 2015, as part of a larger report (attached):
DISTRICT 4 (Supervisor Warren Slocum)
FY 2015-17 Measure A Request Redwood City School District Familias Unidas Family Engagement Program $20,000 one-time in FY 2015-16
This is a $20,000 one-time request to support Redwood City School District’s Familias Unidas Program. Familias Unidas is a family engagement program that promotes the progress of the community by teaching parents how to help and support their children achieve academic success. The program includes a 9-week long evening workshop that fosters academic excellence in the student’s household and in the classroom by integrating families within their homes and into the education system.
During the course, families are taught many strategies and are provided with the necessary tools to get involved in their children’s education. Most parents are often told what to do, but are unaware of how to effectively support their children’s academic needs.
In this workshop, parents and children work together to learn how to improve in the following areas:
• Reading comprehension strategies, applicable to any book
• Development of math and science skills
• Best practices on helping students with their homework, reinforcing study skills, supporting students when not progressing and developing habits for a healthy lifestyle
• Computational skills and related math principles relevant to daily activities
• Technology as a tool to enhance learning in reading, math and English; not just as a communication tool
• Math and language art standards tests and other mandatory district assessments that their children will take during the year.
• Effective communication between parents and teachers throughout the school year, including parent-teacher conferences The Human Services Agency will work with Redwood City School District staff on including performance objectives for the County’s Measure A funds in the agreement.
Important note: This is a copy of the official report -- item 10 on the Board's agenda.