Fabric, Thread & Woven showcases and celebrates the strong community of local artists working in the textile and fiber art mediums.
This is a juried exhibition in the San Mateo County Government Center Caldwell Gallery presenting a distinct approach to innovative and traditional fiber and textile techniques, and a contemporary concept for the use of traditional and unusual materials. The chosen work invites the viewer to experience the many facets of fiber and textile art. Accepting both two and three-dimensional wall hung pieces, including wearable art.
In 2022 the San Mateo County Office of Arts and Culture is giving special consideration to environmental and social issues. Works that address this theme are encouraged but not required to enter or for selection into the exhibit.
A first place $100 award, a second place $50 award, and a third place $50 award will be determined by jury.
Fabric, Thread & Woven is co-curated by Laura McHugh and Shawna Vesco Ahern
Show Dates: March 1, 2023-April 28, 2023
Location: Caldwell Gallery, Main Floor, 400 County Center, Redwood City; Free and Open to the public Monday – Friday 8:00am-5:00pm
Please submit 1 photo of the artwork (.jpeg, .png, or other readable file) along with your application. Send all submissions to Shawna Vesco Ahern, at email@example.com no later than January 20, 2023 at 5:00 p.m. (PST); Artists accepted into Fabric, Thread & Woven will be notified by email by Friday, February 10th.
Participants must live in San Mateo County or be employed by the County of San Mateo.
Only ONE (1) wall-hung artwork per artist will be accepted if it meets the following criteria for eligibility:
- Artist delivers the artwork, along with the entry form, to the Caldwell Gallery, Main Floor, 400 County Center, Redwood City on Wednesday, March 1, 2023, between 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. (Other arrangements are possible but not guaranteed)
- Minimum size of finished work is larger than a standard size of paper
- Weight limit is 20lb
- Artist signs a release of liability
- Works are complete, dry, wired to be hanged (or otherwise outfitted to to be displayed on our hanging system)
- Work is labeled on the back with artist’s name, address, phone number, and price (use “NFS” for “not for sale”)
- No images of nudity, religion, politics or violence are allowed due to the nature of public business conducted at County Center
- Artist provides an optional brief statement (maximum 30 words) about the entry in addition to artist name, art title, medium and price (or NFS) for work entered, by email to Shawna Vesco Ahern at firstname.lastname@example.org
Placement of Work:
Art will be installed at the Caldwell Gallery, (main floor) at the discretion of the Curator.
Pickup of Artwork:
Artist (or designated person) must pick up artwork on April 28, 2023 at The Caldwell Gallery (main floor), 400 County Center, Redwood City. There are no facilities to store artwork. Other pick up arrangements are possible but not guaranteed.
For any questions or comments, feel free to reach out to Shawna Vesco Ahern, County Galleries Curator, email@example.com.
Download PDF below for Application
To keep up to date on Gallery news, exhibitions, and opportunities follow The Office of Arts and Culture on Instagram @smc_artsandculture