Construction Plan Two-Week Look Ahead
Description and location of construction work (December 5 - December 16, 2022):
- Location: Middlefield Road - Southbound from First Ave to Third Ave: Performing formwork, sidewalk concrete pour and roadway work. Expected noise impacts to businesses near the area where work will be taking place. Dust control efforts will be in place while this work is underway.
- Location: Middlefield Road - Southbound from Third Ave to Fifth Ave: Performing electrical, irrigation, sidewalk, formwork, and roadway work. Expected noise impacts to businesses near the area where work will be taking place. Dust control efforts will be in place while this work is underway.
- Location: Middlefield Road - Southbound from Douglas Ave to Pacific Ave: Performing trenching including saw cutting, excavation, jackhammering and debris removal with trucks. Expected noise impacts to businesses near the area where work will be taking place. Dust control efforts will be in place while this work is underway.
- Location: Middlefield Road - Northbound and Southbound from Douglas Ave to Fifth Ave: Maintain traffic patterns, lane configurations and parking.
- NOTE: work is subject to change at any point due to unforeseen circumstances.
Satellite Office now Open!
Come visit us and learn more about the Middlefield Road Improvement Project. If you have questions or comments about the project, please do not hesitate to contact us. We want to listen and chat with you.
Our new office located inside the Casa Circulo Cultural building, 3090 Middlefield Road. See flyer here
Opening Hours: Wednesday 9am-3pm.
Free parking on Second Ave and Middlefield Rd!
- Middlefield Road Improvement Project Newsletter: Issue Four, October 2022
- NEWSLETTER CORRECTION: Beverage Container Recycling Center is not currently on operation. For updates regarding the opening of this center please refer to the Office of Sustainability’s website at www.smcsustainability.org or call 888-442-2666
- Additional off-street parking along Middlefield Road
- Fact sheet for the Middlefield Road Improvement Project
Stay up-to-date by subscribing for email or text updates by clicking below:
Two community meetings were scheduled in June 2021 to provide information to Middlefield Road businesses about the construction project and to answer any questions. Spanish translation was provided at both meetings.
- Thursday, June 24, 2021 at 10:00am outside at the Middlefield Road Mural Parking lot (Middlefield Road and 2nd Avenue)
- Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 10:00am via Zoom. Click here to see a video recording of the meeting.
Click here to go to the Project Documents page which contains presentations and other reports and documents for this project.
|Existing Image||Proposed Project Rendering|
Overall Project Description
The Project consists of the following components: roadway improvements including a new traffic signal system near and including the South County Health Clinic (Clinic)/Redwood Junction driveway, pedestrian and bicycle improvements, utility undergrounding, sanitary sewer replacement work, public WiFi along the Project corridor, and replacing the existing streetlights with a new streetlight system. The roadway improvements will reconfigure Middlefield Road between Pacific Avenue and Fifth Avenue from a four-lane roadway to a three-lane roadway (one travel lane in each direction with a center left turn lane) with parallel parking, bike lanes, and wider sidewalks. The wider sidewalks will accommodate the street amenities recommended by the North Fair Oaks Community Council (benches, trees and landscaping, streetlights, trash receptacles, street art, and public spaces) and low-impact development features for stormwater quality management.
The utility undergrounding work will include placing the overhead utility wires underground and removing the existing utility poles between MacArthur Avenue and Fifth Avenue. Construction of new underground utility system will include utility trenches, generally in the new southbound travel lane of Middlefield Road, and utility vaults or boxes in the new sidewalk.
Sanitary Sewer Replacement
Sanitary sewer replacement work includes replacing the existing sewer lines between Douglas Avenue and Sixth Avenue as part of the Fair Oaks Sewer Maintenance District’s planned capital improvement work.
The Clinic/Redwood Junction driveway work includes relocation and modification of the driveway, replacement and relocation of railroad track signal and equipment, and installation of a new traffic signal system with railroad preemption (connectivity of traffic signals to the railroad signal system and oncoming trains). Modifications required by the Union Pacific Railroad in connection with the traffic signal work include restricting traffic on Northside Avenue to only allow a right turn from Northside Avenue to Middlefield Road. Accessing Northside Avenue from Middlefield Road or turning left from Northside Avenue to Middlefield Road will not be allowed after the Project is completed.
DPW is partnering with SMC Labs, the innovation arm of Information Services Department (ISD), to create an innovation layer of “Smart City” technologies and “Internet of Things” (IoT) solutions that would complement the streetscape design already created by DPW. The goal is to make this section of unincorporated Middlefield Road the most connected, data-driven corridor in the County. It is the County’s belief that if we put data and digital technology to work, it will result in better policy decisions and improved government service delivery. SMC Labs will be installing several advanced smart solutions to improve pedestrian and visitor access and arrival, enhance community experience and safety, support businesses, and provide insights to deliver new County services. These additions include free SMC Public Wi-Fi, smart parking, air quality monitors, connected streetlights, digital signage and kiosks, smart trash bins and benches, and traffic monitoring with built in pedestrian analytics. More information about these smart solutions can be found here: Presentation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Check out this flyover simulation.
Choose Local Facebook Webinar
Construction is underway
Middlefield Road, from south of Douglas Avenue to north of Sixth Avenue, in North Fair Oaks
Estimated Spring 2023
San Mateo County Measure K funds for the Road Improvement work.
SMC Public Works
SMC Office of Community Affairs
SMC Labs /
SMC Information Services Dept.
AECOM: Design and Construction Management
Granite Rock Construction: Construction Contractor
Questions Regarding Construction:
SMC Public Works -
Main Line: 650-363-4100
Available Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
All Other Project-Related Questions:
SMC Office of Community Affairs -
Main Line: 650-363-1800
Available Monday-Friday 8am-5pm