Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
If you don't find the answer you need, please call us at (650) 363-4777 or email us at email@example.com.
How can I obtain answers to my tax bill questions?
Please see the Tax Collector's website for answers to these and other related questions:
- Can I make partial payments?
- Can I pay my taxes using a check, money order, or credit card?
- I lost my tax bills. Can you send me another one or fax me a copy?
- How can I arrange for a payment plan?
- I just sold my house and paid my taxes for the whole year. Do I get a refund?
- Why did you send me a bill? I already paid the mortgage company.
Where do my property tax dollars go?
How can I obtain a copy of the County's Tax Rate Book?
You can download the Property Tax Rate Book from our website.
Who do I talk to about my property tax refund?
For questions about your property tax refund below contact the following Controller's Office Property Tax Staff:
- Unsecured Property Taxes: Mercedes Yapching, (650) 599-1157 (Unsecured taxes are assessed against property that can be relocated such as business fixtures and boats.)
- Secured Property Taxes: Gerimar Tabbay, (650) 599-1608 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Secured taxes are assessed against real property such as land or structures.)
- Supplemental Taxes: Alan Quan, (650) 599-1084 or email@example.com (Supplemental taxes are taxes resulting from a change in ownership or new construction.)
How can I obtain information about lowering my property tax bill?
Please visit the Assessor's website when inquiring about the following:
- Is affordable housing exempt from taxes?
- How do I transfer ownership of a property I acquired from my parents?
- How can I have my property reassessed?
- How do I find out about a tax exemption for my property?
- We had Prop. 13 in the county we used to live in. Can we continue to have the same benefits if we move to San Mateo County?
- I have equipment used in my business. I already paid sales tax on it. Why am I being taxed again?
How can I obtain copies of the County's budget and financial statements?
The County's budget and audited financial reports are available online using the links below:
- San Mateo County Budget
- Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR), which provides both an overview as well as details of the County's financial transactions for the prior two years.
- Popular Annual Financial Report (PAFR), which summarizes the CAFR and presents the County's financials in the context of the larger economic picture.