What is the day like at the Youth Services Center?

The Probation Department follows state laws and regulations about youth rights and facility conditions.  Youth in detention attend school and special programs. They may receive mental health counseling, medical care and are allowed at least one hour of exercise per day.

When can I talk to my child on the phone?

Your child’s Deputy Probation Officer (DPO) will approve who the youth can call.  Youth are allowed to call anyone with approval from their DPO directly from a phone line.

When can I see my child?

Call 650-312-5327 to make an appointment.  Staff will tell you who is allowed to visit and what you can and cannot bring with you.

What do I do if I think my child is being harmed?

You can call the Youth Services Center at 650-312-5200 and ask to talk to the Institutions Services Manager (ISM)-Officer of the Day (OD).  This person is in charge of the facility and can help you. Youth can also file a grievance about any concerns they have about how they are being treated.  These grievances (complaints) will be reviewed by a manager.

When will my child get out of detention?

The decision to release a youth is made by the Juvenile Court.