Supervision Services   

The Probation Department is committed to serving San Mateo County by enhancing public safety, assisting victims of crime, and facilitating positive changes in offenders’ behaviors that reduce recidivism.  The department provides supervision services to clients that are convicted of various offenses and placed on grants of supervised probation, mandatory supervision, and/or Post Release Community Supervision (PRCS) with specific terms and conditions.  During their supervision period,  referrals to collaborative agencies and community-based organizations are made to further support the client’s rehabilitation and expand their resources. 

Frequently Asked Questions:
I was ordered to complete a 52-week domestic violence program.  Where can I get a list of certified Domestic Violence Treatment programs within San Mateo County?

Most domestic violence offenders are required to complete a 52-week certified batterer’s treatment program as a condition of their probation. You may come to any of the adult probation offices to get a list of available treatment programs and/or ask your assigned Deputy Probation Officer.

What is PRCS and mandatory supervision?

In 2011, Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. signed Assembly Bills (AB) 109 and 117, which restructured parts of California’s justice system.  Inmates released from the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, after serving a commitment for non-serious, non-violent, or non-high-risk sex offenses (regardless of prior convictions), are supervised by county probation departments. This population, under PRCS, was formerly supervised by state parole.  There is also a population of offenders, which under Section 1170(h) of the Penal Code are not eligible for incarceration in state prison and serves their jail sentence locally in the county jail.  These offenders are ordered by the Court to serve their jail sentence(s) fully in custody or partially with a period of supervision called mandatory supervision.  

GovDelivery Topic: 
Probation: Community Corrections Partnership

If you have questions about a court case, contact the San Mateo County Superior Court.
If you want to know which Deputy Probation Officer is assigned to your case, call (650) 363-4244.