My child was arrested. What happens now?

If your child has been taken to the Youth Services Center (the County’s juvenile hall), a staff person will contact you.  The police officer who arrested your child will write a report Probation Department describing the crime.  There is an Assessment Center on site, and a staff person will meet with your child to find out more about them.  If you come to the Assessment Center, please bring a photo ID and your child’s social security card.  It would also help to bring the names and birth dates of everyone living in your home, even if they are not related to you.  Try to be as honest as possible with the staff doing the assessment, as it will help us figure out what your child needs.
Based on what is in the police and probation reports, a Deputy Probation Officer will decide what to do.  We might decide to handle the case outside of the formal court process, or to file a petition with the Juvenile Court.  This means that we would forward the police report to the District Attorney's Office and they will decide whether to prosecute the case in court. Your child might remain in the juvenile hall or released to you.  If the District Attorney decides that the case should go to the Court, a Deputy Probation Officer will write a report and make recommendations to the Court about conditions of probation.

When can I see my child?

Call (650) 312-5327 or (650) 312-5240 to make an appointment.

Should I get a lawyer?

The Probation Department cannot give any legal advice.  You can call the Private Defender’s Office at 650-312-5396 to speak to someone about your legal options.

How do I get a copy of the police report?

The Probation Department cannot give you the police report.  To get a copy, go to the police department that made the arrest. They will determine when or if the police report can be released to you. You may also submit a request to the Court that the police department release the report.

When will my child be released from detention?

It depends on how serious the crime is, your child’s criminal history, or if there is a danger that they might hurt someone or not show up for court.  While the Probation Department makes a recommendation about whether your child should stay in the juvenile hall, only the Court can decide.

What are my financial responsibilities?

There is a daily charge if your child is held in detention.  You are also responsible for any charges that the Court orders you to pay to the victim or victims.

My child won't listen and is out of control. Can I bring her to Juvenile Hall?

No.  The Youth Services Center is only for youth who have been charged with a crime and who are a danger to the community or might not appear in court when they are supposed to.

How do I find out who my child’s Deputy Probation Officer is and how to get ahold of them?

There may be a short time before your child’s Deputy Probation Officer is assigned.  The Records Department (650-312-8807) can find out who the assigned Deputy Probation Officer is.  Keep in mind that we may ask you some questions to make sure that you are the parent of the youth.