- Construction of reinforced wall - June 2022 to December 2022
- Construction of bridge - Our contractor is diligently working with the bridge manufacturer to fabricate the aluminum bridge. Unfortunately, due to supply shortage in aluminum, the installation of the bridge is estimated to be in early 2023.
The bridge project is located along Mirada Road in an unincorporated community of Miramar and in the City of Half Moon Bay, within San Mateo County, approximately 0.15 miles west of State Route 1. View a Google map.
About the Project
The Department plans to replace the deteriorating pedestrian/bicycle bridge over Arroyo de en Medio in its current location and reinforce the banks adjacent to the bridge. The project area extends along the bluff below Mirada Road, from Medio Avenue to the Mirada Road cul-de-sac south of the existing pedestrian bridge. The project proposes to retain the current alignment of the pedestrian/bicycle bridge and trail.
- Bridge was closed on July 27, 2020 due to the severe rusting and poor condition of the bridge (see Bridge Closure Announcement).
- The detour route is opened on September 21, 2020 after Public Works obtained Caltran's approval to provide a detour route on HWY 1 shoulder within their right of way.
- June 2022 – First working day: 6/27/2022. Contractor has mobilized and has begun working in the beach area for debris removal.
- July 2022 – Contractor prepared the site for the installation of soil nail walls and removed the old bridge.
- October 2022
- Contractor completed installation of soil nails, mesh reinforcement, drainage mats/weepholes, and application of the initial shotcrete layer along the entire wall (with exception to a small portion of the wall West of stairway of the South abutment).
- Anticipated construction includes the placement of the wall reinforcement, application of final layer of decorative shotcrete, stairway construction at the South abutment, as well as the installation of the prefabricated bridge. Supply chain issues have caused bridge fabrication and delivery date to be pushed back tentatively to February 2023.
- November 2022
- Contractor completed both the North and South Shotcrete Walls, including final sculpturing colored concrete shotcrete layer.
- Contractor had started beach work, which includes installation of a riprap (RSP) layer, beach sand grading to cover the RSP layer, removal of the cofferdam, and finally fine grading the beach area, to be open back to the public.
- December 2022 - The beach area has been restored and open to the public. Installation of the new pedestrian bridge and construction of the concrete staircase will resume beginning Spring 2023.
January 2023 - No construction activities due to winter storms. Bridge vendor has started fabricating the new pedestrian bridge.
February 2023 - Bridge fabrication in progress. County has been coordinating with permitting agencies to prepare for the continuation of construction. The new pedestrian bridge installation is anticipated in Spring 2023.
Public Works Contact