For Immediate Release - Notice of Vacancy
Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) Commission
President of the Board of Supervisors Don Horsley announced that applications for appointment to the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) Commission are being accepted (About the Commission). There are currently two (2) vacancies. To be eligible, applicants must live in San Mateo County. The ideal candidate will possess several of the following attributes:
- Have an abiding interest and lived experience that furthers the equality and well-being of LGBTQ individuals
- Demonstrate knowledge of LGBTQ issues affecting under-represented communities including youth, communities of color, non-English speakers, older LGBTQ adults, immigrants, physically and mentally disabled individuals and economically disadvantaged LGBTQ residents of San Mateo County
- Demonstrated ability to effectively provide outreach to underserved and at-risk LGBTQ populations
- Demonstrated experience promoting programs that foster the well-being and civic participation of LGBTQ individuals in San Mateo County
- Knowledge of a broad spectrum of LGBTQ community resources and the ability to leverage community contacts
- Ability and willingness to work collaboratively with other members of the Commission to achieve Commission goals
- Ability and willingness to devote sufficient time and resources to carry out the responsibilities of the Commission
- Experience and interest with the Commission’s current work plans which include data assessment specific to Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity & Expression; and visibility and inclusion research.
The Commission encourages candidates to attend a LGBTQ Commission meeting prior to applying. Attending a LGBTQ Commission meeting helps the candidate understand more about member roles and how meetings are conducted and offers the opportunity to meet current commissioners. The Commission consists of eleven (11) voting members appointed by the Board of Supervisors. The LGBTQ Commission meets on the first Tuesday of each month from 6:30 – 8:30 PM. The Commission currently meets virtually, but in-person or hybrid meetings are expected to resume in the future and will be held at the San Mateo County Pride Center, 1021 S. El Camino Real, San Mateo.
A revised online application will be ready in August 2022. Interested candidates are invited to submit their name, email and town they reside to Tanya Beat, email@example.com. When the application is ready, Tanya Beat will email you an invitation to apply along with the link to the revised online application.
For information about this commission, contact Tanya Beat, Director of the LGBTQ Commission, 650-363-4467, firstname.lastname@example.org and read the commission website: http://smcgov.org/lgbtq.
Tanya Beat, Director