- Get A Kit
List of key phrases on a card for emergency personnel. Think about what someone who is helping you might need to know about you.
Your card may say:
- I cannot read
- I communicate using an assistive communication device
- I may have difficulty understanding what you are telling me
- I forget easily; please write down information for me
- Make A Plan
- Meet with your family members, friends, and building manager to review community hazards and emergency plans.
- Choose an out-of-town contact. Your family members must know how to contact this person.
- Decide where to meet your household members if ever separated during an emergency.
- Be Informed
- Learn about your community’s response and evacuation plans.
- Develop a communication plan with your family.
- Ask your local fire department, police department, or emergency management office about emergency special assistance programs.
- Ask your city or county how they will warn you of a disaster situation and provide information to you before, during, and after a disaster.
- Know which television and radio stations in your area broadcast the Emergency Alert System (EAS). In San Mateo County, those TV stations are KTVU TV-2, KRON TV-4, KPIX TV-5, KGO TV-7, and KNTV-11 (NBC Bay Area). EAS radio stations include: KCBS 740 AM and 106.9 FM, KQED 88.5 FM, and KCSM 91.1 FM.