Request Sidewalk Maintenance

To report a damaged sidewalk in the County right-of-way, call the Road Maintenance office at (650) 363-4103; provide your name, address, phone number, and locations of the damaged concrete. A supervisor will inspect the area and will advise you of your repair options.

Per the California Streets and Highway Code, Division 7, Part 3, Chapter 22, Maintenance of Sidewalk [5600-5630], maintenance of sidewalk is the responsibility of the property owners.

Excerpt provided below:

5610. The owners of lots or portions of lots fronting on any portion of a public street or place when that street or place is improved or if and when the area between the property line of the adjacent property and the street line is maintained as a park or parking strip, shall maintain any sidewalk in such condition that the sidewalk will not endanger persons or property and maintain it in a condition which will not interfere with the public convenience in the use of those works or areas save and except as to those conditions created or maintained in, upon, along, or in connection with such sidewalk by any person other than the owner, under and by virtue of any permit or right granted to him by law or by the city authorities in charge thereof, and such persons shall be under a like duty in relation thereto.

(Added by Stats. 1941, Ch. 79.)

The Department may take immediate action to mitigate the hazard (e.g. closing the sidewalk, remove the tripping hazard, mark and highlight the hazard, etc.) and will notify the property owner(s) of his/hers maintenance of sidewalk responsibility, per the California Streets and Highway Code.

Sidewalk Construction Permit

To replace or modify a sidewalk in the County right-of-way you must obtain an encroachment permit. Learn More