I live in the North Fair Oaks area (or another unincorporated area of the County). Who can answer questions about my service, bill, or options?

The RecycleWorks hotline: 1-888-442-2666.

My neighbor has garbage all over his back yard and it smells. Who do I call?

Environmental Health Services: 650-363-4305. Or your local code enforcement officer, the number for your city is listed below:

Atherton 752-0500
Belmont 595-7413
Brisbane 415 508 2100
Broadmoor 363-4601
Burlingame 558-7200
Town of Colma 997-8300
Daly City 661-8000
East Palo Alto 853-3100
Foster City 286-3200
Half Moon Bay 726-9389
Hillsborough 375-7400
Menlo Park 330-6600
Millbrae 259 2334
Pacifica 738-7300
Town of Portola Valley 851-1700
Redwood City 780 7000
San Bruno 616-7058
San Carlos 802-4100
San Mateo 522-7000
South San Francisco 877-8518
Unincorporated San Mateo County 363-4825

I just moved into a new house and there are all sorts of old paints and finishes in the garage. How do I get rid of them?

The Household Hazardous Waste Program can help. You can set up an appointment online or call the automated voicemail at (650) 363-4718 and choose option 3.

How do I find a debris box company that will service my area?

The RecycleWorks Website has a database called the Recycling Center that is available to you. This offers current information on where to recycle just about anything and has a category for debris box companies. In some cities you can only use specific companies. This information is available from the RecycleWorks hotline: 1-888-442-2666.

I'm remodeling? Am I required to recycle?

It depends on what city you live in. The County has a Construction and Demolition (C&D) Debris Ordinance that requires recycling on some projects being built or demolished in the unincorporated areas. You can learn about the requirements, download the form you need to fill out, and find out where you can take construction waste in the  C&D section of RecycleWorks. Many other cities also have ordinances. This information can be found at RecycleWorks City Information  or by calling your city's permitting department.

Can I throw used needles or other medical waste in my garbage?

Call Environmental Health Services at 650-363-4305 for information about certified disposal locations or visit California Department of Health Services Medical Waste Management Program website.

What do I do with used motor oil?

In some areas, used motor oil is collected as part of the curbside recycling program. This information is available in the RecycleWorks website or you can also visit flowstothebay.org

Where can I recycle my old computer or TV?

Old monitors and TVs must be taken to a recycling center as landfills are no longer allowed to accept them for disposal. You can find that information in the RecycleWorks Electronics Guide or by calling the toll free hotline 1-(888) 442-2666.

How can I dispose of soil?

If it is not contaminated, you can take it to a landfill

How do I dispose of a large dead animal?

Contact the Peninsula Humane Society at 650-340-8200.

How do I get rid of asbestos?

Contact the Bay Area Air Quality Management District at 415-771-6000.

I'm interested in doing more to help with our recycling and waste problems. What can I do and where do I get information?

RecycleWorks Master Composters are volunteers trained to teach composting classes and to do presentations.

RecycleWorks offers other volunteer opportunities and can help you to www.RecycleWorks.org about a range of environmental issues. Buy Recycled! You can find out where in the Green and Recycled Products database or by calling the RecycleWorks hotline at 1-888-442-2666.