BayLegal’s Domestic Violence Prevention Project takes a holistic approach to representing survivors from all walks of life. The family law unit’s services are designed to empower survivors with the information and options they need to stop the abuse and build safe, stable lives for themselves and their children. The project offers free legal assistance in obtaining restraining orders, divorces, support orders, safe custody, and visitation orders.
- Temporary Restraining Orders
- Divorce, legal separation or annulments
- Child or spousal support
- Custody and visitation orders
- Battered spouse waivers
- Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) enforcement
- Immigration issues faced by domestic violence survivors (NOTE: BayLegal does NOT handle DACA matters or other immigration matters. Please contact Catholic Charities or International Institute of the Bay Area for more information)
- Training and community education
How to Get Help
Please call 9-1-1 if you are experiencing an emergency.
Legal Advice Line
The Legal Advice Line (1-800-551-5554) provides free legal advice and referrals in all languages on a range of civil legal issues. Phone access support for deaf, hard of hearing, or speech disabled clients is available through the California Relay Service — dial 7-1-1 or from TTY dial 1-800-735-2929.
In-person Domestic Violence Restraining Order (DVRO) clinics are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Although clinics are closed during the time period indicated above, the Domestic Violence Unit remains staffed and available for legal assistance. Please call our Domestic Violence Hotline at (888) 330-1940. Please also see our page, Staying Safe During COVID-19: Information for Domestic Violence Survivors.
Contacting Our San Mateo County Office
The phone contact information above will remain the best way to reach our Family Law unit during the pandemic. When we resume in-person operations, information for our Redwood City office is:
- Address: 1048 El Camino Real, Suite A, Redwood City, CA 94063
- Telephone: (650) 358-0745
- California Relay Service: Dial 7-1-1 or from TTY dial 1-800-735-2929 or visit California Relay Service for more information.
- Fax: (650) 358-0751
- Office Hours: No in-person office hours at present. When it is safe to return, office hours will be Monday through Friday: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- Public Transportation: The office is located across the street from Sequoia Station, 1 block south of Sequoia High School, and .2 miles from the Redwood City Caltrain stop.
San Mateo County at 1048 El Camino Real, Suite A, Redwood City, CA 94063
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bayarealegalaid/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/baylegaljustice LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/bay-area-legal-aid/