The San Mateo County Coroner's Office has established a year-long internship program for students and professionals who are interested in the field of forensic science and want to learn about and assist with daily operations at the Coroner's Office. Interns will work with the Investigations Division and the Pathology Division for a complete medico-legal death investigation experience. Interns will learn the responsibilities and duties of each division, and become familiar with the policies and procedures of the San Mateo County Coroner’s Office. Interns will be present during scene investigations and autopsy examinations.
Qualified candidates will be upper division college students pursuing a degree in Forensic Science, Criminal Justice, Biological Sciences, or a related field. A professional in the field of law enforcement, medicine, emergency medical services, fire services, or mortuary services with basic a knowledge of forensic science will also be considered.
*Please note - there are no summer or short-term internships offered.
Where are they now?
Numerous San Mateo County Coroner's Office employees (Forensic Autopsy Technicians, Deputy Coroners) initially began their careers as Coroner Interns and were hired to the organization following the completion of their internship. Other Coroner Interns embarked on careers at the following agencies or continued education at the following institutions:
- Marin County Coroner's Office
- Santa Clara Medical Examiner's Office
- San Francisco Medical Examiner's Office
- David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- NYU Rory Meyers College of Nursing
- San Mateo County Sheriff's Office
- Hillsborough Police Department
- Kaiser Permanente
- Contra Costa Superior Court
- Santa Clara County Communications
- County of Santa Clara Laboratory of Criminalistics
- San Mateo County Forensic Laboratory
- Los Altos Police Department
- American University of the Caribbean (Medical School)
- Merced County Sheriff-Coroner
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST! THE APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR THE CORONER'S OFFICE 2023 INTERNSHIP IS MARCH 1, 2023 AT 8:00 A.M.
Application Posted: February 8, 2023
Applications Due: March 1, 2023 at 8:00 a.m.
Application Review: week of March 5th
Interviews: week of March 13th
Intern Selection: week of March 20th
Background and Clearance Appointments: week of March 20th
Intern Start Date: April 2023
For more information contact:
San Mateo County Coroner’s Office, Internship Program