How to apply?

Requests for research can be done by FAX, by mail or in person at the Permit Counter. To initiate a research request you must complete a "Building Permit Research" form. This form includes the description of the parcel (address and parcel number) and the name, address and phone number of the applicant.

The number for applying for research by FAX is (650) 363-4849. Be sure to read the section entitled "How do I pay for my request?"

If you are mailing in your request or applying in person, the County office building is located at 455 County Center, Second Floor, Redwood City, CA 94063. The office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

If you are interested in only specific documents such as permits and inspection records, you should indicate which documents you are seeking. This can be helpful in reducing the time and expense of reproducing documents that are not needed.

NOTE: We do not have the equipment to reproduce building plans. If your request includes the reproduction of plans, you must first have written permission from the owner of the property and fill out an affidavit form. You will then be referred to a private firm to arrange for the reproduction of the plans. If the plans are stamped by a licensed professional, we are required to send them a certified letter asking for permission to reproduce the plans and to wait 30 days for a response. Any fees associated with the reproduction of plans must be paid directly by you to the private firm.

It is highly recommended that you utilize the mail-in or FAX request options. These methods can eliminate an unnecessary wait in the office to process your request.

What fees must I pay?

Because research involves staff time, equipment and materials, the law allows reasonable cost recovery. When your application is submitted, a minimum non-refundable fee of $55.00 will be required. This fee covers staff time for processing your request. Fees for reproduction of materials are 25 cents per page of microfiche or photo copied materials.


Application for Building Permit Research

Affadavit for Plans Reproduction

File this affadavit to request copies of plans.

Affadavit for Plans Reproduction