Welcome to the 2023 Take A Hike Challenge! We have selected seven hiking routes in our parks to introduce you to the variety and beauty of your San Mateo County Parks! A special reward is available for those who complete the #2023TakeAHikeChallenge.
Follow these steps to complete the challenge:
- Download the below PDFs of the challenge locations.
- Plan ahead for your hike.
- Some trail routes may be easier and some harder. Try your best to complete the route and if you’re looking for a longer hike try exploring other parts of the park.
- You can complete the challenge in any order you prefer! We will be highlighting a different park each month, but you do not need to complete that park in that month.
- Junipero Serra Park, Huddart Park, Sam McDonald Park, San Pedro Valley Park, and Coyote Point have a $6 vehicle entrance fee.
- Some parks allow dogs and others do not. Check out the individual pages for each park for more information! Learn more about Dog Access in County Parks.
- Take a selfie or group photo at the designated spot. See the photos below for where to take your picture.
- Help promote the challenge and share your photo on social media with the hashtag #TakeAHikeChallenge and the hashtag at the particular park, for example #SamMcDonaldPark. Note: You don’t have to share on social media to qualify for the prize.
- To report your completed challenge and to submit for a prize, please fill out this form and email your challenge photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to complete the 2023 Take A Hike Challenge and claim your prizes is October 31, 2023.
- Four Challenges - Sunglasses, TickKey, and Water Bottle
- All Seven Challenges - Above prizes + ToteBag!
Please note that supply for prizes is limited to the first 250 participants.
Tails on Trails Participants!
Those participating with your four-legged family members, be sure to bring your pup to the parks that permit dogs and include them in your photos for a special pup prize!
For questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.
- Route 1: Pillar Point Bluff
- Route 2: Huddart Park
- Route 3: Crystal Springs Regional Trail
- Route 4: Coyote Point Recreation Area
- Route 5: San Pedro Valley Park
- Route 6: Sam McDonald Park
- Route 7: Junipero Serra Park
Come Hike with Us!
This year we’re offering in-person Take A Hike events in addition to the Take A Hike Challenge. The routes we take for the in-person events will be the same as those for the challenge, so you can complete the challenge on your own or with us. Find dates for the in-person hikes below.
All hikes run from 9:00 to 11:00AM. See registration links for more information. Registration links will be posted about a month before each event
April 1 Pillar Point Bluff (Tails on Trails)
May 6 Sawyer Camp Trail - South of Dam Segment
June 3 Sam McDonald Park
July 1 Huddart Park
August 5 Junipero Serra Park (Tails on Trails)
September 2 Coyote Point Recreation Area (Tails on Trails)
October 7 San Pedro Valley Park | Register
Tails on Trails
These hikes help visitors become familiar with dog-friendly San Mateo County Parks and what’s expected when hiking with your furry friend. This event is open to everyone; dogs are not required.
To make this a fun event for everyone, we ask that you:
- Always keep your dog on leash; at least 6 feet or less when around others
- Stay on the trail
- Keep your dog out of playgrounds and other areas not designated for dogs
- Please clean up after your dog (bags and trash cans are provided)
- Walk no more than 3 dogs per person
- Leave wildlife and vegetation undisturbed
Thank you to our partners!
- San Mateo County Parks Foundation
- Kaiser Permanente