The Supported Training & Employment Program (STEP) is an internship program, managed collectively by the Human Resources Department and the Human Services Agency (HSA). The program is designed to prepare and train current or foster youth ages 18-24 transition into the workforce. The purpose of the program is to introduce these young adults who are at risk of underemployment to “the world of professional work.”
The program focuses on five areas:
- Job readiness and skills training
- Job shadowing and employment coaching
- Hands-on, paid work experience in a county department
- Transition planning
- Ongoing program support
- Individuals are eligible for STEP if they are:
- Between the ages of 18-24 years old
- Have aged out of foster care or are non-minor dependents participating in extended foster care (Candidates must submit proof of foster care status upon request)
- Reside in the County of San Mateo
- Have a High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Duration: This is an extra-help position. Extra-help positions are short-term employment for up to 1040 hours.
- Hours: 20 to 40 hours per week
- Location: Across various departments and locations throughout San Mateo County
- How to Apply: The internship opportunity will be posted online when the application period begins June 1, 2023.
- For more information: Contact Iris Tan at email@example.com
The program could not support the interns without amazing Coaches! STEP Coaches are current County employees who provides mentorship and support to STEP Interns through job readiness training, hands-on work experience, and employment coaching. Coaches provide day to day oversight, and act as a direct supervisor to their intern. They also work with the STEP Program staff to best support their intern.
If you're a current employee and interested in coaching an intern, please contact Conrad Fernandes at firstname.lastname@example.org