The Supported Training & Employment Program (STEP) is an internship program, managed collectively by the Human Resources Department and the Human Services Agency (HSA), and designed to comprehensively prepare and train foster youth ages 18-24 during their transition into the workforce and adulthood. The purpose of the program is to introduce former foster youth who are at risk of underemployment to “the world of work.” The program focuses on five areas:
- Job readiness and skills training
- Job shadowing and employment coaching
- Hands-on, paid work experience in a County department
- Transition planning
- Ongoing program support
- Requirements: Individuals are eligible for STEP if they are:
- 18-24 years old
- Have aged out of foster care or are non-minor dependents participating in extended foster care (Candidates must submit proof of foster care status upon request)
- Reside in the County of San Mateo or were in care in San Mateo County.
- Duration: One-year employment program
- Hours: Flexible
- Location: Across various departments and locations throughout San Mateo County
- How to Apply: The internship opportunity will be posted online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo?keywords=STEP when the application period begins.
- For more information: Contact Iris Tan at email@example.com
The program could not support the interns without amazing Coaches! Coaches are current County employees that opt-in to supervise and train STEP interns through expectation and goal-setting, ongoing professional development opportunities, and supportive feedback and coaching.
If you're a current employee and interested in coaching an intern, please contact Conrad Fernandes at firstname.lastname@example.org