Tuesday, Jan 29, 2019
I want to share with you some highlights from January 29 County of San Mateo – Government Board Meeting:
- The Board meeting began with San Mateo County Poet Laureate Aileen Cassinetto giving her first poetry reading to the Board – her poem “Still, like air”.
- The Board heard several presentations including a report from the San Mateo County LGBTQ Commission which reported results from their needs assessment survey; on the new Mobile Stroke Unit, the one of only 10 in the world; resolutions honoring the 2018 Women in County Government recipients; and a proclamation designating January 2019 as Human Trafficking Awareness Month. My colleagues nominated myself and Supervisor Horsley to serve on an oversight committee on human trafficking, particularly of children.
- The Board adopted resolutions to adopt 2019 Garbage and Recyclables Collection Rates for CSA8 (North Fair Oaks), an increase of 8%, and for the Unincorporated Franchised Area, an increase of 5%. For more information visit: RethinkWaste.
- The Board accepted the FY2018-19 County Mid-Year Budget Update – and the County remains well positioned regarding our financial health. We will continue to ask how to we become change agents that act to transform government.
- The Board adopted a resolution authorizing our Director of County of San Mateo Department of Housing and Mercy Housing to enter into an Exclusive Negotiating Agreement with Mercy Housing to begin pre-development activities the Middlefield Junction in North Fair Oaks. I am so proud of this project and cannot wait for the affordable housing units, childcare center and community outdoor and indoor space to come on line!
- The Board approved two of my district-discretionary Measure K funding requests: $50,000 to Nuestra Casa de East Palo Alto for their six-week Parent Academy II that continues to strengthen family engagement; and $74,306 (split with Supervisor Horsley) to Peninsula Volunteers, Inc. for them to make critical improvements to their facilities that serve our senior population so well.
Board agenda, streaming video of the meeting and more at http://bos.smcgov.org/board-supervisors-agenda-information