Choose Local San Mateo County
About the App
Choose Local San Mateo County is a free smartphone App designed to support local businesses.
Choose Local San Mateo County rewards residents and visitors with points for shopping at local businesses right here in San Mateo County. Each SMC Point equals $1, which can be easily redeemed at local businesses that choose to participate. Funded by the County of San Mateo, Choose Local San Mateo County will help us keep our local economy robust and our dollars in the community.
How the Choose Local San Mateo County App works:
- Choose Local is designed to empower community members to shop local and support hard-working small business owners and employees in their neighborhood and surrounding communities.
- Through profiles and stories within the app, Choose Local shines a spotlight on local businesses and gives you a way to attract more customers.
- App users can discover the diversity of local businesses, get to know the stories about owners, employees and services, and earn SMC Points, which can be redeemed later at select businesses around town!
- As a business owner, you can choose to accept SMC Points as payment at no cost to you. These “redeeming businesses'' will be featured in the app and enjoy greater interest and foot traffic as a destination where locals can redeem their SMC Points.
- After app users redeem Points at your business, the County transfers payment to you for their monetary value. One SMC Point equals $1.
- Participation will cost your business ZERO dollars - the County funds the Points program.
- Apply to join the program by filling out an application here.
Steps for Small Businesses to Participate
Three easy steps to sign up:
1. APPLY HERE: https://bit.ly/3bJqO2P
2. ENROLL: If qualified, you be prompted to sign an agreement and a payee registration form to complete your enrollment.
3. PROMOTE: Once your app profile is finished, we will bring flyers and other promotional items to help you spread the word.
- Demonstrated COVID-19 impact such as a forced closure and/or reduced occupancy
- For-profit or non-profit business located within the San Mateo County limits
- Valid business license and operating permits (as applicable)
- Legally operating business located in a commercial or industrial space (home-based businesses are ineligible)
- Independently owned and operated, with the principal office located in San Mateo County (publicly traded companies and corporate-owned franchise businesses are ineligible at this time)
- Businesses should contribute to the overall quality and health of the community (No vape, liquor, marijuana, tobacco stores)
- Businesses must accept credit cards or debit cards
APPLY HERE: https://bit.ly/3bJqO2P (English, Spanish, Chinese or Tagalog)
Note, the Choose Local team is only processing applications of businesses located in the pilot or expansion areas of: Daly City, Half Moon Bay/Coastside, Millbrae, Redwood City and North Fair Oaks, San Carlos, San Mateo, South San Francisco, Burlingame and San Bruno. However, we encourage all interested businesses to complete an application, and our team will notify you when your area is added to the Choose Local app.
Download the Choose Local San Mateo County app today: App Store or Google Play
Email for questions:
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org