Master Compost and Solid Waste Course - SMC Office of Sustainability
Skip to content
Climate Action PlansEV Charge UpGreen BusinessGreenhouse Gas EmissionsSea ChangeSustainability Academy Energy & Water
Energy EfficiencyGroundwaterRenewable Energy & FinancingStormwaterWater Cons. & Water-Energy Nexus Livable Communities
Active TransportationCommute Alternatives ProgramHome for All Waste Reduction
CompostingConstruction & DemolitionEducation & SchoolsGarbage InfoReduce, Reuse, RecycleHazardous Waste, Illegal Dumping & Litter About UsResources
Master Compost and Solid Waste Course
Posted on October 16, 2017August 30, 2017 by eulim
Date(s) - 10/16/20175:45 pm - 9:15 pm
LocationShoreway Environmental Center
In the Office of Sustainability Sustainability Academy’s 8-week Master Compost and Solid Waste Course, participants will learn the ins and outs of backyard and vermi (worm) composting through in-class discussion and hands-on activities. You’ll also learn about how solid waste is managed in San Mateo County. Specific information that will be covered include:
(1) In-depth knowledge of backyard and vermi (worm) composting;
(2) An understanding of soil biodiversity and all the benefits of adding compost to your soil;
(3) An overview of solid waste reduction management and practices; and
(4) Communication, leadership, and instruction skills you can use to educate others how to compost.
Dates: Mondays starting Oct 16th to Dec 11th, 2017 (excluding Thanksgiving week) (total of 8 weeks)Time: 5:45 pm to 9:15 pmLocation: Shoreway Environmental Center, 333 Shoreway Rd, San Carlos
This no-cost educational program is made available through the County of San Mateo’s Office of Sustainability.
The Sustainability Academy is a County of San Mateo Program that is available to community members who live, work, and go to school in San Mateo County.
Important Course Elements:
(1) Within one year of the completion of the course, we require participants to volunteer 40 hours of their time using the skills that they learned in the class to promote sustainability in their communities.
(2) Participants get a choice of taking home a backyard or vermicomposting unit at the end of the 8-week course!
(3) Participants that attend at least seven out of eight of the course’s classes will receive select composting accessories (e.g., turning fork, compost thermometer, or worms).
(4) Priority to participate in the course will be given to San Mateo County community members, specifically those who live, work and go to school in San Mateo County.
(5) If you are interested in participating in this Master Course, please fill out and submit an application: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MasterCSW_Fall2017. The Academy’s Coordinator will contact you soon after reviewing your application and eligibility for the course.
For additional information: http://www.smcsustainability.org/climate-change/sustainability-academy/
If you have any questions, please contact the Academy’s Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org or 888.442.2666
South San Francisco Citywide Garage SaleFixit Clinic
Energy & Water